Collie X Greyhound For Lamping Rabbits

Mines out of Alex from hancock slightly over half cross and she doesn't struggle with speed she very fast was a dick of a dog to start but she's starting to come on nicely now thing I found with these collie X by 12 months they look mature but in there head their not mature till 18 months old even 2 years !

I agree in full

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know why your so set on a collie cross with exact breeding,,,get a lurcher with collie in the mix from good working parents ,,,you won't go far wrong

Never seen a lurcher mature at 12 months old

The fractions are far less important than WHICH collies and which greyhounds are used. Any greyhounds should be full distance rather than sprint dogs and should have had a reasonably injury free car

Posted Images

My brindle bitch is just settling down now at 2 and half. Getting something like and knows the job

My pup is 1 in 2 weeks and is still a baby in lots of ways. I can't see her being even close to "'mature" for another 12 months.

I'm glad bitches mature earlier. Lol

My brindle bitch is just settling down now at 2 and half. Getting something like and knows the job

My pup is 1 in 2 weeks and is still a baby in lots of ways. I can't see her being even close to "'mature" for another 12 months.

I'm glad bitches mature earlier. Lol

haha I bet, my last bitch I don't think mentally matured until 3. But she was big. My dog now seems mature at 2. But I don't think any dog really is mature 12 months. Think 2 is about right and then bigger the fog generally the longer it takes. Not saying anyone's wrong or that wha I said was right. Just from what Iv seen of dogs from Jack Russell to big deer hound x lurchers

I'm not saying they are but collie X seem to need more time to mature mentally

im not sure about this as the one we work was mentally ready to work and switched on around between 10-12 month. He is a 5/8 collie rest lurcher. His sire was a lurcher, dam was a collie.

Don't get me wrong he's nearly 7 now and acts like a big pup playing around. So maybe not haha

I'm not saying they are but collie X seem to need more time to mature mentally

beardy and known to take longer the border to mature too, and your bitch is beardy border in she? Any recent pictures of her? I liked her when you posted her at 10 or 12 months I think
598715FE-287E-4BA7-8190-BD9E59A96B1D.jpg
  • Like 3

Then you have not seen many,the black and white 3/4 in my previous post took his first fox at 9 months and pinned it perfect as it came through the sheep netting (daytime bushing pre-ban), it was all easy from there on, hardly ever missed a fox and very rarely took a bite, he was top class on rabbits but could make hard work on hare, he lived to a grand old age of 16yrs, the only bad faults were his stamina and he lost 2 toes over the years as he ran everything flat out even on hard ground, I had a 5/8grey 3/8 collie bitch that matured around 12 months and never made hard work of anything, first night out she took 8/ 8 on 2 fields on the lamp,hated fox and would grind down her hare's, I like my lurchers these days to carry other blood as well as collie,my better dogs have been lurcher/ lurcher,the bitch below is the best I've owned and at 7 yrs she's all done, she goes to a nice retirement home this afternoon where hopefully she will live her days out with a family I've hand picked, 7 days is proving too much for her these day's and she's been running clever for a while now, I did think of breeding a litter off her but there are plenty of lurchers out there if I decide to replace her, I will miss her, especially when the wind is howling down the chimney or the terriers bush out game but its about her and not me, so thats that, WM

• Like 1

She looks a fast dog. I took my dog out 11-12 month old and caught first night out first run on the lamp , first rabbit he ever saw etc but I wouldn't of said he was mature at all. He was quick enough and keen enough at that age but still wouldn't say was all round matured? He saw two foxes at 12-14 months old and was keen and pulling like a train but in my mind still wasn't mature ? Or maybe I'm too over cautious ?

Who knows lol

Edited by Somewhereyournot