Cocker X Patterdale

white van man

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

cocker x russell about 3year old, does plenty above ground and will do a little below of recent. Great little bitch, would not change her for nothing

He has turned out well mate. There’s a few off here seen him work. He’s spot on with the bushing, ferrets well considering he’s only been a couple of times. Depends what you are looking for. He’s only

Thats her

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, white van man said:

He has turned out well mate. There’s a few off here seen him work. He’s spot on with the bushing, ferrets well considering he’s only been a couple of times. Depends what you are looking for. He’s only young though. I would love to put him to a decent bushing terrier when the time is right as I would want a pup. 

90393835-A617-4CE6-BA1D-4C3137311DB2.jpeg

8DF9A491-1EE9-488C-AE63-3A7449288594.jpeg

I would be in the market for a pup ?

• Like 1

I got first x pup me n stewie/lurcher1 used be on here went to bedlington way got a bitch each 11 hor round trip but well worth it think this ones gonna sing when on scent as she squeals like a banshee when she see the big dogs getting excited etc i try n get pic up mine s very terrier looking very jagd shape but pure black its litter sister black n tan and boy has mine got some enegy you could go all day on bike with her if u let her lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, John d said:

He looks spot on mate! Im just after an honest little dog tbh, and he looks that. Where are you based (just county will do) and if I could use him you would be welcome to a pup back. Is he all cocker or any springer in? And what terrier is in him? Thanks for reply

I don’t think you could put exact percentages on him. Lee Green off here bred him you could PM for exact info. Squab and squirrel off here have his litter sisters. They might know exact. He has various spaniels in him but mainly cocker. and bushing terries. Predominantly Lakeland/patt going back a while. I’m in Devon. Would need to chat more to see what you need and as I said he’s only coming up 2 so not keen at the moment. Would prefer another season under his belt and when I’m ready to keep a pup back. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, white van man said:

I don’t think you could put exact percentages on him. Lee Green off here bred him you could PM for exact info. Squab and squirrel off here have his litter sisters. They might know exact. He has various spaniels in him but mainly cocker. and bushing terries. Predominantly Lakeland/patt going back a while. I’m in Devon. Would need to chat more to see what you need and as I said he’s only coming up 2 so not keen at the moment. Would prefer another season under his belt and when I’m ready to keep a pup back. 

Oi I need a pup don't be so fukcing selfish and get him studded out .....

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Tyla said:

My first x Springer pat bitch. She' just over 2 now and going well for me. She works cover like a mad thing and is a good ferreter. She is smaller than I expected but I'm happy with her

20170910_125442.jpg

This might be hard to answer, but what is her work style like? Same question to anyone with this cross. I've got both the base breeds, well terrier and cocker and I'm fairly certain with what I like about them individually. Just wonder how the cross throws? Also, have you tried stalking with her as you do your lurcher?

6 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

This might be hard to answer, but what is her work style like? Same question to anyone with this cross. I've got both the base breeds, well terrier and cocker and I'm fairly certain with what I like about them individually. Just wonder how the cross throws? Also, have you tried stalking with her as you do your lurcher?

She works very much like a spaniel. I do a lot of very tight bramble clumps and she will circle them questing for scent and if she finds it she hit the cover hard. She is very fast through cover and exciting to watch. Her main faults are thats she is usually mute and sometimes she forgets she is in a pack so tries to do everything herself. She is mostly interested in rabbits and pheasants but will get stuck in to anything which hasn't always worked out so well with her being so small. She is far too hectic for stalking, at this age anyway, and would be distracted by every scent we passed. She is broken to deer as a lot of the bushing I do is in a deer park and I don't want to interfere with that.

4 minutes ago, Tyla said:

She works very much like a spaniel. I do a lot of very tight bramble clumps and she will circle them questing for scent and if she finds it she hit the cover hard. She is very fast through cover and exciting to watch. Her main faults are thats she is usually mute and sometimes she forgets she is in a pack so tries to do everything herself. She is mostly interested in rabbits and pheasants but will get stuck in to anything which hasn't always worked out so well with her being so small. She is far too hectic for stalking, at this age anyway, and would be distracted by every scent we passed. She is broken to deer as a lot of the bushing I do is in a deer park and I don't want to interfere with that.

Okay, that's interesting. Pretty much what I expected. Aye, spaniels are fast, too fast at times! They have the nose, speed, endurance and strength to not have to stop and think too much. I find terriers much less excitable and they'll think their way through a situation but equally they tend to cover ground less easily/explosively. I wondered really if that combination would make for a spaniel that is a bit slower, thinks more but doesn't lack the strength to 'smash' heavy cover. I think those two traits are mutually exclusive generally though.

I'm not surprised regarding stalking. Spaniels are mad little fuckers. Mine is naturally steady to deer, had a few contact flushes on roe and not bothered with them. My terrier however naturally wants them. She'd have made a better stalking dog really, much less busy at heal and work. The spaniel could but like you say, he's too busy and why risk unsteadying him.

• Like 1

Pretty much what tyla said for my one. He will yap though if he is right onto something or if it won’t shift. Again for heavy cover he will use his nose and if he goes in then there’s normally something there. He also hits the cover hard. He’s not broken to deer though. Strangely not that interested in pheasants but I don’t ever go looking for them. He’s ideal for what I need him for 

• Like 1