Merles

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Merles,..a contentious subject..and like Marmite,..you either love em,..or,.... ya don't   Having been involved with herders and sheepdog/Cattle dog, hybrid lurcher types,..since my childhood,..Mer

this is mine, iv always liked a merle

My Merle lady

Posted Images

And yet there was a red Merle in the North of Ireland in the early 90s that couldn't be beaten at shows (mind you, shows were not as plentiful as nowadays) , he was a beauty.

I often heard lads back then saying that a lot of dog thieves wouldn't touch a Merle, to easy to identify.

They took mine, p***y c**ts

Cheers, D.

They fascinate me always make me think of them hunting dogs in USA you see in the old films some crackers on here, do you still breed a litter then Phil L atb Flacko

Hi,..yes, I sometimes breed some cur dogs for myself, and a few other lads...

My workload has changed somewhat,..I no longer get onto the massive Downland chalk warrens, the spacious Plains and Nature Reserves,..but, I still cull a few shushis from off the local pheasant and partridge shoots. I stay out of the woods as best I can, and concentrate on the miles of hedgerows that border the game shoots. For this job, I find a purpose bred hybrid, twixt the Sheepdog and Greyhound, with a smidgen of whippet (to bring the size down), fits the bill nicely....These determined, quicksilver, bush busters are equally at home, lying quietly in the middle of the hedge, waiting to mug a rabbit , or nippy enough to get on terms with a crafty bolter.

I am convinced, in this case, that a wee bit of whippet, went a hell of a long way :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 7

Merles,..a contentious subject..and like Marmite,..you either love em,..or,.... ya don't :laugh:

Having been involved with herders and sheepdog/Cattle dog, hybrid lurcher types,..since my childhood,..Merle coloured canines, have always been part and parcel of Collie x Running dog litters...

I've had Black and white collie lurchers and plenty of Red Fawns , Brindles, etc,..

The actual colour doesn't really mean a lot,..they are either useful,.or not useful,..simple as that.

Personaly,..I quite like the Merle colouration,..I find this unique blend of Greys, Silvers,Blues and Chocolate pelt hues,to be really interesting. So much so, that whenever I breed a litter of cur dogs, I invariably keep back a Merle :thumbs:

DSC_4040.jpg

Just looking at your photo Phil i,d pick the pie'd pup, the one with the blue eye has something about it to though.

• Like 1