How Many Dogs

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's great to be able to put all your time and effort into one dog, but injury can wipe your season out!

If you've got enough work for more than one dog then it can be justified, I'm out every other night and run one dog.id rather have 1 good dog than a few 'okay' dogs

everyone on here seems to go out 3/4 times a week lucky them ...truth is you go out that much you will need more than one dog

From a working point of view and not from a "as long as the dogs are happy and looked after" point of view then it Depends what the individual lad wants from his dog if your just messin with it n just like pottering about then it don't matter to much and to a degree the breeding, but if you want to test your dog properly one is more than enough especially in the current climate it takes a lot of effort time and gear to put in front of just one fit dog that's doing well..

Doubled up running doesn't count as to fully testing a dog especially on rabbits lol, there still having it to do but can't and shouldn't be compared to the single handed runner.

As like a few others have said Iv always liked to have two but I don't always take two lurchers out together and always only take one on the lamp, people have there own thoughts on the way to go about things but in reality anyone that tries to say different then there just in denial of what they do n what's on the end of there lead but as with the old adage each to there own n all that..

Edited by dodger
  • Like 3

i only ever keep one runner. but keep a couple of terriers so if the runner is off then i can keep myself busy with the little uns . i wouldnt be able to find enough time to keep more than one lurcher busy but can work it alongside the terriers do abit of bushing/mooching and the odd nights lamping . i still feel he dont get enough work. as rabbit is a lurchers bread and butter to me and there isnt enough rabbits about to justify another runner :huh:

• Like 2

i only ever keep one runner. but keep a couple of terriers so if the runner is off then i can keep myself busy with the little uns . i wouldnt be able to find enough time to keep more than one lurcher busy but can work it alongside the terriers do abit of bushing/mooching and the odd nights lamping . i still feel he dont get enough work. as rabbit is a lurchers bread and butter to me and there isnt enough rabbits about to justify another runner :huh:

Same for me. One runner and 2 bushers. Permission isn't the best this year so tend to be out mooching local bit of bushing. Can't see me ferreting this season, haven't been yet anyway. Think I'll leave it and try let the number build up a bit. Maybe ferret a few local spots just to keep them ticking over.

• Like 1

All good and well saying test your dog to the limit and keep one dog and put all your time into it, but when they get serious injuries or worse death, then you ain't got a leg to stand on.

That's my reason I'm getting a pup in this spring, because this season Iv had injuries and EVERY OTHER season Iv had Iv had injuries.

Two runners always better than one if you got tidy permission that are eager for you to show up

• Like 1

All good and well saying test your dog to the limit and keep one dog and put all your time into it, but when they get serious injuries or worse death, then you ain't got a leg to stand on.

That's my reason I'm getting a pup in this spring, because this season Iv had injuries and EVERY OTHER season Iv had Iv had injuries.

Two runners always better than one if you got tidy permission that are eager for you to show up

What happened to your other pup mate? Edited by stevo79

I got 2 workers at the moment one retired and a 2 week old litter !

I do mostly day time hunting so usually run 2/3 lurchers all the Time first they all got strengths and weaknesses

They can all lamp so if I fancy it which is very rarely I just grab which ever one I feel like really

• Like 1

What happened to your other pup mate?
i gave it to someone else to make use of it, I couldn't gel with it mate. Give it two months but it's attitude wasn't for me. Last time il have saluki in a dog. Stick to my collie xs I think, then I know where I am.

Theirs 5"in my house 2 terriers one a mini witch is the wife so that don't count really one retired lurcher and one still work and the cocker and terrier for bushing but ill be looking at another pup this summer to have two runners as this year I have missed a bit with my own dog and it just ain't the same with my grandads bitch .