Old Pic

Marshy ,,I was told Romanys lived in bender tents,,made from canvas and hazel poles,,befor having wagons and caravans,,is that true and is that what that tent type thing is,,,.?

Great pics again mate,,,and that one of yours mud,,,excellent stuff

I think the kids slept in blender tents next to the Waggons aswell...they were made from the same canvas material that the bow top is made of...young hazel shoots bent over to make a dome with the front lifted up facing the fire.

Not just the kids slept in them and those families with just a flat cart would have as well,i've lived in many a bender(the tent not the faggot type :tongue2: ) and i used to be able to build one without using string to tie the poles just woven through and you could swing off the frame, but not built one for many a year now.We use to use car windscreens as windows along the bottoms of them.Bloody grand things to live in and more room than my bow top used to have in it,hardest bit about a bender tent is getting the canvas tarps as plastic ones create to much condensation.Also building one with a tunnel entrance like a igloo keeps the wind out when you go in or out of them and it sure is living on ground level with the bugs :laugh: ,but probebly the best times of my life living so simply without the worry of modern shite you don't really need..man :victory::laugh: .

Grand pics lads and keep them comming for sure :thumbs: ..

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father mid 70s run two on a onion field in Prickwillow Fen just thought I'd share an old pic with ya

This is mate that I used to go coursing with grandfather and he's brother sammy cracking old pic I think

a old pic i have of me dad think it must be late 70s a call him a lazy twat now because he doesn't hardly get out "iv killed more game in a season or 2 than you will in your life is his reply lol

Posted Images

wasn't a lorry with a tarp on it safe in the eighties, lol, will try and dig some pics out you might like fireman

I have to admit in doing that with a tarp on the back of a 1951 Austin Loadstar for a few months :icon_redface: ,had to sort of rebuild it every time we moved as it'd end up at an angle due to the wind :laugh: .

• Like 1

Where there's been travellers settled from my great great father down to my father and me in our area " the marsh " the council put this statue up for the travellers of our area we love it . The shame of it is I've dug and ran rabbits in the fields surrounding it which they're now building houses on . The top pic of Naveks and the family in the wagon I just put up was taken in the surrounding fields which are mostly gone now

post-10031-0-68057000-1451072441_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Marshy ,,I was told Romanys lived in bender tents,,made from canvas and hazel poles,,befor having wagons and caravans,,is that true and is that what that tent type thing is,,,.?

Great pics again mate,,,and that one of yours mud,,,excellent stuff

I think the kids slept in blender tents next to the Waggons aswell...they were made from the same canvas material that the bow top is made of...young hazel shoots bent over to make a dome with the front lifted up facing the fire.

Not just the kids slept in them and those families with just a flat cart would have as well,i've lived in many a bender(the tent not the faggot type :tongue2: ) and i used to be able to build one without using string to tie the poles just woven through and you could swing off the frame, but not built one for many a year now.We use to use car windscreens as windows along the bottoms of them.Bloody grand things to live in and more room than my bow top used to have in it,hardest bit about a bender tent is getting the canvas tarps as plastic ones create to much condensation.Also building one with a tunnel entrance like a igloo keeps the wind out when you go in or out of them and it sure is living on ground level with the bugs :laugh: ,but probebly the best times of my life living so simply without the worry of modern shite you don't really need..man :victory::laugh: .

Grand pics lads and keep them comming for sure :thumbs: ..

My sisters used to sleep in the bowtop and us boys used to sleep underneeth with a canvas around to keep the cold out.A rough life but i still miss it.
  • Like 5