Your View On Different Bushing Dogs

jcm

as willow said lurcher dont need to hear them yipping when they on something, my lurcher over sees the bushers totaly when they in the cover yapping or not and hopefuly gets in position for a bolt,but i love it when they start kicking off i know somethings happening brings out the childish exited nature in me :D although on a serious note mine have put plenty up out the back of cover and away,i know when they in full cry what direction i need to head off in and although its not generaly far i have often found my lurcher standing over a kill so it defo has its benefits for me in finding them quick if needed

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3/4 of a dog sounds useful lol

Mine bushes for 2 runners (whippets) and since his introduction I have preferred this type of hunting/mooching, I can see they all love it, and his noise on prey send the runners scurrying at max spee

My lurcher doesn't need voice, but if she is a way off and hears it she dashes over. You might have the bushers quartering, nose down excited as buggery, but the animal they have the scent of is now 1

Posted Images

Mine bushes for 2 runners (whippets) and since his introduction I have preferred this type of hunting/mooching, I can see they all love it, and his noise on prey send the runners scurrying at max speed towards him, great fun.

6adc8d038ffed199ca6f96b482b5b831.jpg

IMG_0034%202.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

Edited by bryanm45
  • Like 9

My lurcher doesn't need voice, but if she is a way off and hears it she dashes over. You might have the bushers quartering, nose down excited as buggery, but the animal they have the scent of is now 100yrds down the hedge,the lurcher just seems to wander along an point, then waits for the bushers to catch up!

I like a bit of voice but it isn't essential, the lurcher picks up on the franticness of that action, but my main concerns is willingness to work thick cover and bidability

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...

voice .. let's you know the cover is ' holding ' and give's you the direction the quarry is taking, plus it keep's the pack together ,which pro-long's a hunt . if your quarry sneak's out the back of a bramble only one dog might see it go , if the dog give's tongue the other dog's will fly to the lead dog.

on bushing dog's it depend's on land,or terrain and which quarry ,also do you want a find and flush dog or a find and chase dog, or a find and hunt dog ?

• Like 3

voice .. let's you know the cover is ' holding ' and give's you the direction the quarry is taking, plus it keep's the pack together ,which pro-long's a hunt . if your quarry sneak's out the back of a bramble only one dog might see it go , if the dog give's tongue the other dog's will fly to the lead dog.

on bushing dog's it depend's on land,or terrain and which quarry ,also do you want a find and flush dog or a find and chase dog, or a find and hunt dog ?

Most of the time the lurchers tells you before the cover dogs tell you mark the bushes :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

i know what you mean squirrel .. but back to the original question i'd keep a pink poodle if it would do the job . I wouldn't be asking which cross ,which breed .. i would be thinking what does the pack need , its a lot too ask one dog too face hard cover each day throughout a season but in some areas you can rely on one bushing dog. I would recommend hound types too anyone because they pick up on ground scent that lurchers and terriers only feather on and pass , but from your description i'd stay they are not what your after and remember don't assume the lakeland will understand how the hound work's and it takes lurchers time as well . if you want another busher you want it too work well with the lakeland , that is the important thing .. what cross , or breed is secondary.. what cross you could debate for weeks , but i wouldn't want two dogs hunting for themselves rather than hunting together , they'd still put game out but really you want two bushers that gel together...kev , medlock crew

• 7 months later...

i know what you mean squirrel .. but back to the original question i'd keep a pink poodle if it would do the job . I wouldn't be asking which cross ,which breed .. i would be thinking what does the pack need , its a lot too ask one dog too face hard cover each day throughout a season but in some areas you can rely on one bushing dog. I would recommend hound types too anyone because they pick up on ground scent that lurchers and terriers only feather on and pass , but from your description i'd stay they are not what your after and remember don't assume the lakeland will understand how the hound work's and it takes lurchers time as well . if you want another busher you want it too work well with the lakeland , that is the important thing .. what cross , or breed is secondary.. what cross you could debate for weeks , but i wouldn't want two dogs hunting for themselves rather than hunting together , they'd still put game out but really you want two bushers that gel together...kev , medlock crew

I understand what you mean, dogs must work together and my Lakeland does work with other dogs but the dogs we work are terriers and for me I think we are missing something with a very good nose, don't get me wrong the terriers have decent noses but s beagle x I think either one or two would be ideal for us as we hunt strip woods hedgerows dykes etc.

im thinking I beagle spaniel terrier mix will be they way to go for us and I'll be looking for a pup or two bred from working stuff that is doing the job that I'm after

• Like 1