Your View On Different Bushing Dogs

jcm

Right so I'm going to look for a new busher to add to my pack which contains 2 lurchers and a Lakeland dog.

What I'm wanting is obviously a dog to hunt all and any type of cover as I hunt all different types of cover.

I'm wanting something that will hunt mainly fox to flush to waiting gun but also flush rabbits when out with the lurches.

I realy like the sound of the beagle x terrier or Spanial which on paper would do what I need as I want a dog to hold a line but be trainable, something that I could have half a chance calling off a scent of the dog was to get to close to roads,

I like bushes with abit of leg to it so I can cover the ground well.

Just looking for views or past experiences of different types for cover work and even opinions if what would suit my needs ?

Cheers in advance jcm

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3/4 of a dog sounds useful lol

Mine bushes for 2 runners (whippets) and since his introduction I have preferred this type of hunting/mooching, I can see they all love it, and his noise on prey send the runners scurrying at max spee

My lurcher doesn't need voice, but if she is a way off and hears it she dashes over. You might have the bushers quartering, nose down excited as buggery, but the animal they have the scent of is now 1

Posted Images

had a few types of bushing dogs

ive found spaniel x terrier have really fell into place easy

and its all down to what type of game your hunting and the land myself they must listen so iv stayed away form beagle half crosses as once there on fresh lines its a waiting game for them to come back

alot of lads on here with different views and different dogs try and get out to see some work your eyes wont lie what you like :thumbs:

Willow do the spaniel/terrier cross bark on scent ? Like a dog to make noise when hunting, especially when on fox .

My jrt is silent when bushing and that suits me fine on the land I bush daytime its hunted to death any noise from a dog sends them to ground I've noticed that I've a much better catch rate than people whose dogs bark on scent

Would be very happy if they went to ground Peter lol . As I always say there's only one man a dog has to please and that's the man that feeds it , if the Russell suits your needs then fair play and hope you get loads of sport . A mute dog with us wouldn't be kept , had a collie/springer years back that would out hunt any dog but wouldn't bark , have him to a guy who thought there was nothing like it

• Like 3

I do like the sound of the cocker X terrier as I would imagine they would listen more and not hunt to far but do they tap on behind there quarry like a terrier, my terrier only makes a noise when he is up the arse of something

I had a beagle X spaniel and honest to god the dog was spot on ! Hunted all day and could bloody shift but one whistle and he would stop dead in his tracks and come back no problem only opened up when he sighted quarry !!

My Russell yips it's head off if he can see his prey and doesn't drop in very handy

I have a Lakeland on atm that is 3 and never dropped in till last week so now I gotta keep an eye on him more now but he a good little grafter but with only the one busher its some times hard work for him

• Like 1

I had a beagle X spaniel and honest to god the dog was spot on ! Hunted all day and could bloody shift but one whistle and he would stop dead in his tracks and come back no problem only opened up when he sighted quarry !!

A cocker X would be ideal for me

A cocker X would be ideal for me
There's loads of different X bushers! It's different than lurchers most will knock a few bunnies about and odd fox