Quartering

Been teaching my pup( 8months old )to quarter as she runs on to far when I let go of her horse lead, she does change direction well when she hears the whistle but still keeps to far ahead, any way to stop this apart from constantly calling her back?

keep her close from the start dont let her run on to far,then use your whistle to change direction but again keeping her close,have you done all the basic training with her first.

I've done sitting or stoping, recall with the whistle and retrieve tennis ball and dummy
  • 3 weeks later...

When she is at the distance you want her to turn at, hit the whistle, and change direction so she's got to turn to get back infront of you. That's what I'd do.

Also, before you turn her, roll in a freshly killed pigeon so that she finds it both near you, and going the direction you want to be going. The idea being that she starts to associate finding birds near you, not far from you.

I like to start my dogs quartering as early as I can, usually as soon as I get them home. Rather than actually train them to quarter, I condition them to. If you walk a zig-zag pattern with a 16-28month old pup enough it'll just be normal for the pup to zig-zag/ quartet.

When she is at the distance you want her to turn at, hit the whistle, and change direction so she's got to turn to get back infront of you. That's what I'd do.

Also, before you turn her, roll in a freshly killed pigeon so that she finds it both near you, and going the direction you want to be going. The idea being that she starts to associate finding birds near you, not far from you.

I like to start my dogs quartering as early as I can, usually as soon as I get them home. Rather than actually train them to quarter, I condition them to. If you walk a zig-zag pattern with a 16-28month old pup enough it'll just be normal for the pup to zig-zag/ quartet.

I started my pup in a similar way from the start. Walking zig - zag and tooting the whistle.

On a long rope, she will do this all day long........

But take of the rope and it's a different story, which I'm now trying to recover from.

I started my pup in a similar way from the start. Walking zig - zag and tooting the whistle.

On a long rope, she will do this all day long........

But take of the rope and it's a different story, which I'm now trying to recover from.

Unfortunately that is a different issue altogether.

Good luck.

Get any book you can written by Joe Irvine. The most inspired spaniel man on the planet when it comes to training. I remember one of his best sayings. 'when on the lead your spaniel is at rest. When off the lead he must be under control'. Won puppy open field test and RU in full blown trial. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Get any book you can written by Joe Irvine. The most inspired spaniel man on the planet when it comes to training. I remember one of his best sayings. 'when on the lead your spaniel is at rest. When off the lead he must be under control'. Won puppy open field test and RU in full blown trial. Hope that helps.

That's the only thing left for me to do. :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...