What Went On Here Then I Wonder?

Otter kill from a carp water :victory: . The only sign was a bitten fin, it had been dragged up on the banking and simply left to die. Otters do not just kill to eat, on heavily stocked waters thay will kill alot and only eat a small portion from each. They seem to love carp! That fish was about 6lb, but I have seen ten - fifteen pounders from the same water killed too. This is a water that is far away from a river, it's amazing how far into suburbia otters travel and they never get seen! :victory:

We had an otter on one of my old clubs ponds and it killed bigger fish than that. Up to 26lb I think the biggest was. Most of them just had their bellies eaten and the rest left. This water wasnt what you`d term heavily stocked or a "runs" water either. Sad as its not worth fishing now. Like you say, they dont need waterways close together to get about.

We need pics of that sort of thing...ducks with no beaks would certainly put some of the bunny huggers off their breakfast

yeh then they get all infected and start getting maggoted so you take the 17hmr and the springer to the pond and shoot the poor buggers......but we all know that otters like badgers only eat dandelion roots and turnip tops

Edited by perthshire keeper
  • Like 1

We need pics of that sort of thing...ducks with no beaks would certainly put some of the bunny huggers off their breakfast

yeh then they get all infected and start getting maggoted so you take the 17hmr and the springer to the pond and shoot the poor buggers......but we all know that otters like badgers only eat dandelion roots and turnip tops

Aye, the otter is a true predator. I was at a fishery the other week, there were plenty of carp laying about, all with just one bite out of them. Fishery owner had tried to fence the otters out, but he'd only used rabbit wire and they'd bitten through that! If people knew the amount of otters about they'd be shocked!

• Like 1