Thoughts On The English Setter

Are they falling out of popularity due to the likes of Brittany's or GSP GWP ... Personally I think they are very good dogs but saying that I only experience of hunting over English pointers and springers other than the setters... I trained up. My own bitch this summer she only has 4 birds shot over her but was very trainable took to retrieving no problem stay command no hassle,they have plenty speed to cover open moor when necessary I don't see why they aren't more popular... I'll put pictures of mine up tomorrow once I'm on the laptop

Heres a few pictures of mine from today the bitch is just rising 2 and this is her first proper season did nothing last season and the dog is six and has a lot of work done including work on grouse ... The two are fast dogs the bitch being slightly faster I have big hopes for her

This is the dog

2015-12-18%2014.36.37_zpshgaxpo7o.jpg

2015-12-18%2014.33.19_zpspu4use99.jpg

2015-12-18%2014.07.51_zpsn4mnqrqe.jpg

The bitch

2015-12-18%2014.32.53_zpsdxonluds.jpg

2015-12-18%2014.32.30_zpsgyom8mei.jpg

2015-12-18%2014.07.31_zpseklbwp9g.jpg

[2015-12-18%2014.33.24_zpswx6tftlc.jpg]http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag137/AndrewBeirne/2015-12-18%2014.33.23_zpss5eojgrv.jpg[/img]

I do apologise about the quality they don't stay too still for long and was holding a gun too

Thanks for sharing Andrew.

What are they like when working woodland?

Do they range too far out or will they keep in touch with you?

I like what I have heard about setters.

Derry Argue used to breed his own line a while ago and the book he wrote gives some good information about them.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking Setters. I had a setter for some time, and he was a pleasure to shoot over. Here in the States they are quite popular, and there are a lot of different breeding lines with different characteristics, and style. Some setters work quite close, while other head for the horizon.

I've shot over some nice cover dogs that would cast out to 350-400 yards. That's a long cast in the woods, but these dogs were honest, and when you finally got in to their point there would still be a bird there. Being steady, competitive trial dogs, it was great to see them stand their point well after the flush, and shot. I took a drive through the North Yorkshire moors last month, and my friend and I discussed how great it would be to walk behind a nice, honest, big running setter Like that.