.22Lr Ammo

I used to like to use HV all the time, they have got that 'zip' that gives me confidence in my shooting.

Sadly they are too noisy to use around my neck of the woods, 30 years ago the lanes were

deserted, fields never seeing footfall for weeks on end.

But now there's people on horses, old farm houses turned into mini 'villages' with 4 or 5

residences, cars, kids, walkers etc etc. It's just the way it is, and they have just as much

right as I have to be there, so no problem.

The simple truth is most people don't like someone else with a gun anywhere near them or their

property, so now I use subsonic's all the time, and keep a low profile.

I found that the crack made by a 22 is known to many and they don't like it, however the boom from a

centrefire sounds the same as a shotgun (to the untrained ear) and for whatever reason folk seem less

averse to that?

So my HV's are reserved for my distant places, and the odd range day.

• Like 1

I picked some rws high velocity up a couple of months back, and very accurate they are too. I carry a few as I think they're better for those hundred yard shots. Definitely smack home a lot harder than the subs but I don't use many.

For my money the RWS HV HP is the best high velocity round. I use an Annie 1417.

This stuff definitely has it uses for me. I always carry a five round clip for a quick swap over from subs. Hit's a lot harder on fox. I've also dropped some good range corvids and stoats with this bullet.

Sadly they are too noisy to use around my neck of the woods, 30 years ago the lanes were

deserted, fields never seeing footfall for weeks on end.

But now there's people on horses, old farm houses turned into mini 'villages' with 4 or 5

residences, cars, kids, walkers etc etc. It's just the way it is, and they have just as much

right as I have to be there, so no problem.

The simple truth is most people don't like someone else with a gun anywhere near them or their

property, so now I use subsonic's all the time, and keep a low profile.

This. ^^^^^^^

Very little point to using HV's really. Give you a few extra yards for a lot more noise. All LR ammo tends to richochet, so most people I know simply buy subs. Cheaper, quieter and don't carry as far on ricochet if it happens.

If you need more gun, then there are choices in both RF and CF, although LR will despatch rabbits all day long without issue. You're more likely to have issues hitting them than killing them!

On the sound point, my mate had a box of HV's we tried out one night on one of his rural shoots. Subs, couldn't hear them, quieter than a 12ftlbs moderated air rifle I had! HV, noise echoed 3 times around the valley off hills several miles away and for what, an extra 20yds or so of max range we wouldn't be using anyway? Simply not worth it. (We had them for fox but if you're shooting fox, CF is the way to go unless at very close range).

I think most people who carry a few high velocity rounds do so in case the need arises. It makes the .22 or more versatile just like reduced velocity rounds do. It's more practical than carrying two rifles in case you might see a fox, is it not? Also, talking of ricochets, I found it interesting to find Winchester subs that had skimmed off short wet grass at fifty yards, carried another fifty yards before slamming sideways into an eight by four 3/8 inch ply. The bullets had just embedded themselves and not penetrated through, so most of their energy had been lost as they toppled the last fifty yards. The ply board was in front of a much larger safe backdrop I might add.

• Like 1