Ratting With Terriers

Dry cow tubes they are known by .Used to clear up any infection as the cow nears her time to calve .

You can get wet cow ones as well FD,the box of synolux ones i have now are for a lactating or wet cow and they are really good mate :victory: ..

• Like 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are right Fireman,...   I used to do a lot of ratting,...lived for it,.Pig farms, maggot farms,..Knacker's yards,..fecking loved it...   Ratting, at night,...as you know, is a whole different

We used to do a pig farm nearby and boy were there rats ,hundreds.Part of it was farrowing crates and small piglets so we had to be sure all dogs were broke to stock as we invited many lads to that sp

For Neil ,not the whole bag but 900 odd .The rest were from another little shed away from theses so rats not brought over .

Posted Images

Dry cow tubes. That's them.Excellent stuff for wounds and I have used them for eye infections aswell. Seen a hound after a fight in the kennels opened up badly. We taught he wouldn make it. Few wks of treatment with the tubes and wound cleaned up perfect.... what do ye do with all the rats ye catch lads to ye bury them or create a big bonfire ☺

Depends where i catch them,on the farm where we thresh i keep them for the ferrets if there not to badly mashed up as these rats are the healthiest rats i've ever seen,but sod feeding the ones from the pig farm i was at last night as there as manky as a rat can be and there left on the muck pile or for the pigs to play with...

Handy fireman that you can feed some to the ferrets. Not sure if my missus would be thrilled me bringing a bag of dead rats home ☺

Agree with you Fd about antibiotics. Least we use them the better. Most wounds can be cleaned with salt water and then if needs be antibiotics for the more serious stuff.

• Like 4

Funny but that's one I always found to be true. I've noticed a few times when mice move out a rat has appeared. Let's face it we've all seen half eaten mice and rats in traps.

BUT, maybe if the food source is plentiful then a rat doesn't need to chase his dinner.

I think the rat is capable of anything.

I remember hanging a fox in the shed years ago and didn't get around to skinning him 'till the next day. As I opened the shed I thought he was still alive as he was wriggling, LOL.

I also remember being told why some turkeys at Christmas would have a little round hole in the breast, LOL, happy Christmas folks.

When I think of terriers and rats I always think of my ol' dog Spike.

Exercising him at 7 months he popped into a hole. I made a phone call and had someone bring shovels over the field to me and I dug a vixen with Spike.

At 9 months Spike seen his first rat and wouldn't kill it. There was a few kids watching and they asked me why was my dog a coward, LOL.

ive known the exact same thing.
  • Like 1

Great to catch up after a few busy days out and not had a chance to catch up on this thread,some great posts and advice for lads that don't use "dry cow",easy to obtain as well,nice pics F D and positive posts,I once was ratting with ferrets in town on the edge of a small stream by a tip,we'd had a busy morning with plenty of rats bolted or marked then dug by the terriers when a tip employee came over and asked us to leave,we promptly told him to f*ck off,which he did,half hour later the plod arrive and came over heavy handed,well there were 3 of us 11 dogs full of sh*te and we were covered in mud,blood and guts,the sergeant said he'd had a report of us badger digging,well I spoke up telling him he had us bang to rights and that he better arrest us then,we had a sack and a bag full of dead rats and I had a few nice clean ones for the ferret later in my pocket,he asked us where the dead badgers were ,to which I replied "they're in my bag and that sack", he told the 2 ordinary plod to search us and that the dogs ,everything in fact was to be seized as he had radio'd for a van to take us in,they searched my mate then proceeded to search me until he pulled out 2 dead rats from my camo pocket shouting "dirty b*stard",we started pissing ourselves laughing,they never found it funny though,telling us to pack up and f*ck off,we giggled like naughty schoolboys for days at the girly shrieks from that copper,we were there again the next week and surprisingly left alone,WM

• Like 6

post-76374-0-38164400-1450738797.jpgpost-76374-0-28248700-1450738811.jpgpost-76374-0-15356100-1450738829.jpgpost-76374-0-93552100-1450738847.jpgpost-76374-0-54238200-1450738867.jpgpost-76374-0-77855400-1450738891_thumb.jpgpost-76374-0-21085800-1450738983.jpgpost-76374-0-41469900-1450739004.jpgSome good tales on you experiences of days out,i used to love them swill fed piggery's and rubbish dumps.The bin sheds were always hot spots for these mange ridden scabrous rats .There were three with in walking distance of my home and i couldn't keep away from them.they were filthy sopping hell holes ,my dogs constantly stank of pigs shit,all my ratting gear was ransent and full of holes of battery acid.My ferrets were always bitten up [as we never used smokers in the early days]and would always keep a good hand full of gills.They would always be fed on rats and done very well on them,always tried to pick the cleanest looking ones.These were glorious places and we took some good hauls [well thirty's and fourties on a really good day]well they were as a kid and were regular too.still get that same buz now when pulling up outside the farms i hunt today.couple of pics from the eighty's,atb keith j.

• Like 8

I love them pics Keith,everyone had a russell like that back in the day and border/lakies were the norm,we ratted on some excellent tips for years and enjoyed some great sport fit for kings,rats always make grown men into children again when they bolt in numbers,absolute chaos and laughing everywhere, I like the pic of you in the black woo lie hat,I was waiting for a rendition of "come on arleen" LOL's,here's an old one of mine, WM

• Like 2

post-76374-0-63337200-1450794357_thumb.jpgpost-76374-0-46661600-1450794436.jpgpost-76374-0-39170400-1450794549.jpgpost-76374-0-19018600-1450794572_thumb.jpgLike the pic WM,Loved them days out mooching with our bobery little packs.Heh them hats were in too back in the day lol.i'll put a pic up of the coat i had to go with it.Them dogs in picks were all worked above and below,the smooth Russell In the top right pick chasing the rat was a tide bit hard though ,well for me any ways,but a great little dog.stood just over 10 THS.couple more pics,atb keith j.

• Like 1