Ratting With Terriers

Funny but that's one I always found to be true. I've noticed a few times when mice move out a rat has appeared. Let's face it we've all seen half eaten mice and rats in traps.

BUT, maybe if the food source is plentiful then a rat doesn't need to chase his dinner.

I think the rat is capable of anything.

I remember hanging a fox in the shed years ago and didn't get around to skinning him 'till the next day. As I opened the shed I thought he was still alive as he was wriggling, LOL.

I also remember being told why some turkeys at Christmas would have a little round hole in the breast, LOL, happy Christmas folks.

When I think of terriers and rats I always think of my ol' dog Spike.

Exercising him at 7 months he popped into a hole. I made a phone call and had someone bring shovels over the field to me and I dug a vixen with Spike.

At 9 months Spike seen his first rat and wouldn't kill it. There was a few kids watching and they asked me why was my dog a coward, LOL.

• Like 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are right Fireman,...   I used to do a lot of ratting,...lived for it,.Pig farms, maggot farms,..Knacker's yards,..fecking loved it...   Ratting, at night,...as you know, is a whole different

We used to do a pig farm nearby and boy were there rats ,hundreds.Part of it was farrowing crates and small piglets so we had to be sure all dogs were broke to stock as we invited many lads to that sp

For Neil ,not the whole bag but 900 odd .The rest were from another little shed away from theses so rats not brought over .

Posted Images

Never been ratting but holy s*it that's some amount!! that place must have been alive when ye turn on the lamp. With that amount of rats the dogs must take a fair few bites. Is it normal washing of bites and would the dogs ever get poisoned from the furry critters?

Yes shovel,every time i've had a dog bitten by a rat the wound is cleaned and i used mastitis cream on my terriers and have never had any sort of bite go septic,as for poisoning i'm off out on a farm tonight ratting and there's posion down there but my terriers don't eat the rats so i've no worry from secondary posioning and they had their jabs as pups and never had any issues with lepto either.

SAM_1351.jpg

For Neil ,not the whole bag but 900 odd .The rest were from another little shed away from theses so rats not brought over .

Fair play Foxdropper and fair play to who ever laid them out for the photo. 30 rats in a sack is heavy, let alone 100's :laugh: .

We ,who consider the true test for a terrier is in the dark, under ground often forget how much 20 rats can inflict on a terrier, let alone the 100 or so that you expect.

Have to say, when I'm digging I take it so serious but ratting, even though it is pest control too, is fun fun fun :laugh: .

Yes shovel,every time i've had a dog bitten by a rat the wound is cleaned and i used mastitis cream on my terriers and have never had any sort of bite go septic,as for poisoning i'm off out on a farm tonight ratting and there's posion down there but my terriers don't eat the rats so i've no worry from secondary posioning and they had their jabs as pups and never had any issues with lepto either.

We use mastitis cream also for wounds.mighty stuff. It's getting harder to get each yr though. Fd that's a great number day or night.that farmer must have been well pleased.
  • Like 1

We use mastitis cream also for wounds.mighty stuff. It's getting harder to get each yr though. Fd that's a great number day or night.that farmer must have been well pleased.

There's a synolux one that's brilliant and i have no problem getting them from a local farmer with cattle,maybe worth an ask at the local dairy herd mate. :thumbs: