Best Gundog For Me?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a gundog in the future but I'm not sure what type would suit me best.

Over the last few months I have considered a GSP, a Cocker and Labrador.

I currently have a Working Whippet who I have been bringing on so I need to consider a breed that is compatable to live with him.

I have a thirst and genuine passion for dog training and like the idea of training two different types of working dogs separately and having spent time training a dog breed that isn't well known for its biddability I am seriously craving a dog that naturally takes to training.

There are 3 shoots local to me (one of them at the end of my lane) and I would be looking to provide a service to one of them once the dog is ready.

My fiancées Dad and brother both work on a shoot every weekend (one beating with springer and one picking up with Labrador) therefore advice in training is available.

My question (with the above in mind) is what would you consider to be a good choice as my first Gundog?

Any advice welcome

BBB

I wouldn't get a cocker as a 1st gun dog -although they crave work and do a great job they can be a handful and might have you questioning your choice a lab is probably the easiest of the gundogs to train and results are normally immediate but not all labs will bust through thick cover like the spaniel breed I work springers on a few shoots and they suit my needs but ive recently had my eyes opened to a lab x pointer that does it all and a bit more! just remember whatever your choice you only get out what you put into the dog -good luck

Lab, but some modern labs are almost too hyper and some can be a bit of a handful.

I've a gwp x lab, driven but sensitive and biddable. It's only 10 months old, so it's a bit early to tell. Having had labs in the house all of my life, it is the most loyal dog I've had and has prompted me to buy another pup.

• Like 1

Lab, but some modern labs are almost too hyper and some can be a bit of a handful.

I've a gwp x lab, driven but sensitive and biddable. It's only 10 months old, so it's a bit early to tell. Having had labs in the house all of my life, it is the most loyal dog I've had and has prompted me to buy another pup.

Isnt Fenton a deer dog lol

• Like 1

My 2 pennies worth would be to source a well bred working lab,never mind all this trialing hype,get 1 from parents that are worked regulary and worked hard at different types of shooting,ie,on the beating line,picking up,wild fowling even tracking wounded game.I have 2 springers which i use mostly for woodcock shooting in very dence cover but i also have a lab bitch that will thrash cover as good as any springer but suffers in real dense cover because of her stature,she is a big animal,very easily trained to what i require from her and also a good guard dog.

I've just bought my first gun dog this year and was asking myself similar questions. Our club always shoots over springers as we work a lot of heavy cover but I wanted a dog that was a little steadier and that could make a good family dog too.

I went with a Brittany spaniel and so far I am delighted with the breed. Small enough to work cover, loves to please you, easily trained and very versitile.

Now I have no experience with driven shoots but I can imagine if you train them to be nice and steady they should be fine.

That's just my experience but it might give you some food for thought.

I'm sure you'll be delighted with whatever breed you decide on. Good luck.

Labs are bred to retrieve and are easily trained for long distance work but can still work most types of cover, it's only the real thick stuff you'll notice them working round not through.

Spaniels are bred to hunt and will work any cover but can struggle on the longer retrieves (like a leg down bird that's flown past a hedge)

Any of the hpr/ pointer breeds are bred for far ranging work. Great noses and will cover a huge amount of ground quickly buy will take a lot of training to slow down enough for a beating line. It's easily possible but the dogs breeding will make him want to head into the wind nose up rather than follow the beating line.

So basically you need to work out what type of work you'll do more regularly.

Bit of everything then go for a lab, mainly beating but a bit of shooting and retrieving go for a springer, just beating with just the occasional retrieve then try a Cocker.

Most gundog breeds are a versatile bunch and will turn their hand to most things, it's usually theirs size that restricts them....

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a good question, and one I wish more people would ask before spending money on the breed du jour. I think the best advice I've ever heard anyone give is what was called the 80% rule. That is, think about what you'd like to spend 80% of your time doing with the dog. If you imagine you'd spend most of your time beating, and only some of your time picking up a spaniel is probably a good choice. If you think you'll spend more time picking up, but only do a bit of beating then a Lab would make a good choice. Maybe you won't be doing either, but want to spend your time shooting game over your dog? The. You've got more choices to consider; pointing dog, or flushing dog. More time in the uplands, or more time fowling? I like Springers because I'm usually in the uplands, but only occasionally the wetlands. Because I'm also usually alone I prefer a flushing dog over a pointing dog. My good buddy is almost the exact opposite; avid fowler, but sometimes enjoys gunning in the woods. He's got a Lab.

• Like 1