Sheep Farmer Shoots Hounds

Sounds like a tragic misfortune and the poor hounds copped it. Maybe he has a load of flighty sheep who just have to see a dog to start panicking so farmer is a bit protective. I guess if you ever go in the area again might be worth having a chat first in case. Even if your 5 mile up the road and give him a mobile or two. unless he cant be reasoned with at all then just avoid. Very sad :(

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lads the comments on here make me wonder about some hunting people. It's his land and if was know that he was likely to shoot dogs like you say then no matter what way ye intended to go then the right

Sorry Foxbolter, but I disagree with your posts. The farmer in question doesn't represent most farmers but if you go about doing those things you say you could turn a whole community against hunting.

Since this happened another local farmer has taken some leased land back off him and another who let him use his machinery in the summer because of his own breaking down has just billed him for it's u

And the father or grandfather were once paid members they obviously got something against the hunt politics probably maybe raynardman would enlighten us

I'm only gathering bits of this myself, it was the grandfather who was a member some 18 year ago, he has since passed away, so has the father, the son that shot the hounds is about 22/23 year old. I don't know of any history between both parties but it seems it's a family tradition has the father shot a neighbours collie some time ago.

Police have called but are taking no further action, 2 hounds had to be taken to the vets, 1 is recovering well the other is 50/50 whether it will work again, a vets report has been obtained and a solicitor sort.

Also there are some lads involved with the hunt who's balls have dropped which want to go a knocking but have been advised not to.

All this talk of doing this that and the other to the farmer or his property wont change the fact that 2 hounds were shot and 2 more were injured,BUT by law,dont know what the law is in GB but here if an unacompied dog-dogs are on land where livestock are present then the farmer is well within his rights to shoot said dogs,not that i agree with it just stating the fact he can do it legally.Sheep are such a stupid animal,only have to see a dog in the distance and there away running all over the shop.There was a case not far from me a couple of year back where a mates Springer+Terrier happened to get out of there pen,the chap that owned the dogs was also a farmer,anyway to cut a long story short they caused 15grand worth of damage with a neighbours sheep,ewes heavy in lamp,some died,some more ended up in a river and a lot more aborted there lambs,he had all ewes scanned before this incident so knew how many lambs he was due to end up with so afterwards when all ewes had lambed and the bill was sent it came to 15grand,mate was lucky as he was a member of a certain organization which duly paid the bill for him under his insurance.I try to steer clear of sheep while out with the dogs,i know you cant tell where a fox will take hounds,just one of those things but not all farmers turn a blind eye to it,joys of hunting.

• Like 2

All this talk of doing this that and the other to the farmer or his property wont change the fact that 2 hounds were shot and 2 more were injured,BUT by law,dont know what the law is in GB but here if an unacompied dog-dogs are on land where livestock are present then the farmer is well within his rights to shoot said dogs,not that i agree with it just stating the fact he can do it legally.Sheep are such a stupid animal,only have to see a dog in the distance and there away running all over the shop.There was a case not far from me a couple of year back where a mates Springer+Terrier happened to get out of there pen,the chap that owned the dogs was also a farmer,anyway to cut a long story short they caused 15grand worth of damage with a neighbours sheep,ewes heavy in lamp,some died,some more ended up in a river and a lot more aborted there lambs,he had all ewes scanned before this incident so knew how many lambs he was due to end up with so afterwards when all ewes had lambed and the bill was sent it came to 15grand,mate was lucky as he was a member of a certain organization which duly paid the bill for him under his insurance.I try to steer clear of sheep while out with the dogs,i know you cant tell where a fox will take hounds,just one of those things but not all farmers turn a blind eye to it,joys of hunting.

An the cnuts say there's no money in farming

• Like 1

Neil what would you do if your terrier bolted a fox and took pursuit but ran through ground with no permission which could easily happen and get shot would you phone the police or send us darling up there grow a pair for god sake there is no justice for what that farmer but he should be played at their own game amazes me men in the game that hasn't a pair of balls and say they do things by book at all times u r a joke

If I seen a farmer point his gun at my dogs or me I would sort it out there and then. I've held the barrels of a gun a farmer was using before so I know I'd do it.

That what someone with balls does.

Sneaking back at night to torch a hayshed or kill his sheep is what a coward does.

Is it any wonder there's so many anti hunting farmers nowadays ?

• Like 11

That's the law if you did anything to him even though I probably would you would be in prison straight and this is why hunting is band we sometimes forget marching through London peacefully leaving antis in the waterloo cup to demonstrate they shouldn't have even been allowed on the ground doing things by the book didn't work if we had done things differently maybe we could still hunt as normal you respect farmer's who respect you and work with them as for a clown with a gun shooting dogs for no need hee needs sorting notice he didn't phone police no he didn't give a dam and just shot hounds and he will again and again if something isn't done

Heard about this on the weekend utterly disgraceful and totally uncalled for. This is a well established pack and for this sack of sh**t to say they were chasing sheep is total bo**ocks. We hunt another pack not far from these boys and anyone from there reading this you have all the support and sympathy from everyone.

• Like 1

We ring around the farms we are going on leading up to the day of the meet but we are being told that we are not allowed on this farm or not allowed on this field or those fields, and this is happening more frequently than ever now. So I agree with "foxbolter" as to the terrain we hunt. Emotions are running high and if they didn't we wouldn't be classed as hunting people.

Would think this yuppie farmer might get a rough time down the pub when his gun isn't handy. Practically though unless you have guns lining his boundary its near impossible to stop fox running across land or the hounds from following.

Edited by stevemac

I agree stevemac! The hounds or the fox don't have a route map at the start of the day saying where you can and where you can't go. As I said in my previous post it is really difficult to have a human barrier to stop hounds or fox going on land we are not allowed on, hounds can run a fox miles from where it was originally picked up and potentially go on land which we have no permission BUT that does not give the right of the landowner to do what that despicable t**t did. These landowners know what foxhounds do and that is hunt fox and not sheep. I reLly hope he has losses this lambing season because no hunt down here will lift a finger to help