Sheep Farmer Shoots Hounds

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lads the comments on here make me wonder about some hunting people. It's his land and if was know that he was likely to shoot dogs like you say then no matter what way ye intended to go then the right

Sorry Foxbolter, but I disagree with your posts. The farmer in question doesn't represent most farmers but if you go about doing those things you say you could turn a whole community against hunting.

Since this happened another local farmer has taken some leased land back off him and another who let him use his machinery in the summer because of his own breaking down has just billed him for it's u

The pic above is of some of our hounds dressed as "sheepdogs" after a comment by "fatman" that sheep looking at a dog everyday makes a difference. We plan on visiting farms with different flocks on most week nights, these will be known as "getting to know EWE nights. We have had a trial run but unfortunately at the mere sight of one of our "sheepdogs" which was on a lead the sheep took off like demented woolen creatures of hell running into wire fences, hedges, wooden gates, metal gates,over and under and through every farm implement in sight. Ah well early days yet!!!!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

All this talk of doing this that and the other to the farmer or his property wont change the fact that 2 hounds were shot and 2 more were injured,BUT by law,dont know what the law is in GB but here if an unacompied dog-dogs are on land where livestock are present then the farmer is well within his rights to shoot said dogs,not that i agree with it just stating the fact he can do it legally.Sheep are such a stupid animal,only have to see a dog in the distance and there away running all over the shop.There was a case not far from me a couple of year back where a mates Springer+Terrier happened to get out of there pen,the chap that owned the dogs was also a farmer,anyway to cut a long story short they caused 15grand worth of damage with a neighbours sheep,ewes heavy in lamp,some died,some more ended up in a river and a lot more aborted there lambs,he had all ewes scanned before this incident so knew how many lambs he was due to end up with so afterwards when all ewes had lambed and the bill was sent it came to 15grand,mate was lucky as he was a member of a certain organization which duly paid the bill for him under his insurance.I try to steer clear of sheep while out with the dogs,i know you cant tell where a fox will take hounds,just one of those things but not all farmers turn a blind eye to it,joys of hunting.

An the cnuts say there's no money in farming

15k in stock doesnt = 15k in profit... breeding stock are a large part of that so take out 5-7k, vets bills, water bills, feed bills also have to be paid... there will also be normal losses (sheep love dropping dead without warning) )probably only 5k of this will end up as profit

• Like 2

All my experience with dogs and sheep in same field sheep run to a corner and dog just carries on through I think they would have to be chased hard causing stress to abort lambs. The farmer who shot the hounds now don't care that he shot hounds and the police won't be worried about it and will not take any further action obviously . The sad part is he has shot 2 hounds doing what they were bred to do of no falt of their own just because is family have fallen out with the hunt over politics . I would definitely pay him a visit and make him sorry for is actions and the only way to do that is to make him lose money.

• Like 2

All this talk of doing this that and the other to the farmer or his property wont change the fact that 2 hounds were shot and 2 more were injured,BUT by law,dont know what the law is in GB but here if an unacompied dog-dogs are on land where livestock are present then the farmer is well within his rights to shoot said dogs,not that i agree with it just stating the fact he can do it legally.Sheep are such a stupid animal,only have to see a dog in the distance and there away running all over the shop.There was a case not far from me a couple of year back where a mates Springer+Terrier happened to get out of there pen,the chap that owned the dogs was also a farmer,anyway to cut a long story short they caused 15grand worth of damage with a neighbours sheep,ewes heavy in lamp,some died,some more ended up in a river and a lot more aborted there lambs,he had all ewes scanned before this incident so knew how many lambs he was due to end up with so afterwards when all ewes had lambed and the bill was sent it came to 15grand,mate was lucky as he was a member of a certain organization which duly paid the bill for him under his insurance.I try to steer clear of sheep while out with the dogs,i know you cant tell where a fox will take hounds,just one of those things but not all farmers turn a blind eye to it,joys of hunting.

15k in stock doesnt = 15k in profit... breeding stock are a large part of that so take out 5-7k, vets bills, water bills, feed bills also have to be paid... there will also be normal losses (sheep love dropping dead without warning) )probably only 5k of this will end up as profit

If you can make £5k profit from £15k of stock, please come and run my sheep operation!

If you can make £5k profit from £15k of stock, please come and run my sheep operation!

i could make 30-40% profit on a small scale so cant see why its not feasible on a larger scale

i could make 30-40% profit on a small scale so cant see why its not feasible on a larger scale

You aren't counting in fixed costs. You up scale and only do sheep then see if you making anything like that profit, I wager you'll struggle to just make a living.

• Like 1

You aren't counting in fixed costs. You up scale and only do sheep then see if you making anything like that profit, I wager you'll struggle to just make a living.

I'm part of a discussion group. A farmer published his costs for 1500 ewes. After a year he was left with £3000.

I'm part of a discussion group. A farmer published his costs for 1500 ewes. After a year he was left with £3000.

sounds like 1 of 2 scenarios there.. he keeps hill sheep or he lives in a hot arid country like australia.... either way there would be high losses so not even close to a lowland scenario!

• Like 1

Can I ask if you make so much profit on a small scale then why aren't you doing it on a large scale ?

Simple fact though is no one makes that much profit off any type of farming unless very niche and then it's not the farming but the adding value which makes it not the produce.

• Like 2