Jackdaws And Jays

I have kept a jackdaw and it made a brilliant pet, until a fox got too it through its aviary. was thinking of having another this spring but I also thought perhaps a jay? Has anyone kept one? Do they make as good a pet as a jackdaw? I was wondering as they are a lot more timid in the wild.

Thanks

What a shame craigyboy ain't with us any more as that fella bred jays and had a couple that were very tame indeed and he could let them out flying free and they allways came back to him,i don't know anyone who breeds jackdaws but there is a man i know in Ipswich who breeds jays and there about £120 each and there all hand reared so tame as can be.. :victory: ..

• Like 2

Just out of interest regarding Jackdaws ?

Does the male or the female incubate or do they share ?

There's one beside where I live that's around ten years old. I photographed it in it's first year as it had a few white feathers and it's got whiter every year and is nearly pure white at this stage.

I was coming back from a dig an hour ago and it was on my lane with a normal Jackdaw. It still turns my head and I see it most days.

However it goes missing for a few weeks in the Spring and IMO is incubating. Hence my question.

If and when it pops it's clogs I hope to pick it up as I'll get it mounted.

There's one beside where I live that's around ten years old. I photographed it in it's first year as it had a few white feathers and it's got whiter every year and is nearly pure white at this stage.

I was coming back from a dig an hour ago and it was on my lane with a normal Jackdaw. It still turns my head and I see it most days.

However it goes missing for a few weeks in the Spring and IMO is incubating. Hence my question.

I seen that with a pigeon my mate bred it was a half fantail half racer it was black pied but every moult it got whiter till it only had a few black specks and it had a funny little crown around its head

Niel, would be nice to see a picture of that bird.

had a magpie from a chick when i was a kid,kept in a old hutch till it could fly then it was free to do as it pleased would come home from school quick whistle in it came started to turn wild after few years though

One my regrets is not taking a Jay off craigyboy for kids when he offered, he was a true gent

Are Jay's protected birds? nice bird in appearence.

A corvid and although the prettiest there still nest robbing feckers and have no special protection..

• Like 1

Niel, would be nice to see a picture of that bird.

I've no way of putting up photos and the one I have of this bird is when it was probably 5 to 10 % white and that was taken on a Polaroid. The same bird is probably 90% white now.

It hasn't been breeding whites either as it's the only one around with white feathers, yet if you go in to Drogheda there's an area where all the Jackdaws have white feathers.

There's also a white Magpie a few miles from me. I know where he was born and a local lad got a photo of him that appeared in the local paper.

That Magpie then moved to another area that I trap and he's been moving around now for the last 3 years and has lived on 3 different farms that I trap on and he's never entered my traps. A fancier in Drogheda told me if I got him he'd give me a good price.

The nearest I've got to that Magpie was about 10 foot when one morning I was sitting in a ditch calling in a fox and he landed on a branch just above me.

I've noticed that this year he's moulted out with one black feather in his tail.

Almost forgot, about 3 Summers ago I found a young Rook right in the middle of the village that I would say was thrown out of the nest. It's beak was a bit deformed and he had 2 white wings. I thought he was a Magpie when I seen him first.

I brought him home and had him in a cage in the kitchen. I was hand feeding him dog food every hour or two and after a few days he'd hop onto my hand to feed.

But f**k, was he noisy. He'd see me coming and start screaming for food. At the time I had around 8 terriers and they'd join in.

One day i was talking to a neighbour out the front and he heard me and started, then the dogs started so I culled him and gave him to the ferrets.

Then after I culled him I was offered good money for him, always the way.

Not sure about colour in jackdaws but if it is sex linked like it is in some birds then it's probebly a hen if no colour has been passed on as only the cocks carry the colour if it is sex linked,mind you the young cock birds would be carriers of it but to get another full pied bird he'd have to mate with another visual pied bird.As it goes i saw a pied jackdaw in Woodbridge suffolk yesterday and saw a very pied rook last year and so did other locals but it hasn't been seen for a while now,once had a white robin in a garden i used to work in but that went soon after they got a fecking cat. :censored: ...

Got to edit this as i'm a little wrong :icon_redface: ,it would produce a carrier of the colour and any coloured young from that will be hens if it's sexed linked and does not have to mate with another visual to produce a coloured chick..

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

Thanks Fireman, so it's probably a hen and the fact it goes missing for a few weeks every Spring I guess it's doing all the incubating.

The fellow who offered to buy the white Magpie off me explained the sex linked theory to me and admitted he'd be taking a chance on whether it would be a cock or a hen and whether he'd breed mutations from it.

I'd like to have seen that white Robin.

The nicest mutation I've ever seen in the wild is a cinnamon Chaffie I seen last Summer about a half a mile from Fatmans house.

I was to be at his house for 5am but was early. I didn't want to call to early as his dogs would be barking so I pulled in on a backroad for a while and was able to watch and I.D. this Chaffinch. He was in a flock of normals.

• Like 1

i was once told by an old fancier that white feathers were caused by the bird eating too much starch from bread, chips etc like crows do ive seen a few over the years with quite a bit if white in them. Am i right in saying that if a jackdaw,magpie or jay is caught for pest control purposes its ok to keep them as long as the keeper that caught them has some kind of trapping licence?