First Season Dogs Finding

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll find a lot of young terriers want more room than they need, it might not be she can't find, it just might be she won't commit to pushing tight. One way or the other she'll put it right in time

I try not to over think anything, at the end of the day they're green pups that don't know their heads from their arses. I always show my pups dead game, not to often but enough to let them know that

Keep him going in the small places, some of them are naturals but the bulk of them learn their trade as they go through life.

Yes i would try the experienced dog if he was still wanting after seeing the first season promising keen worker come out But you know yourself if one had been with game and u knew , it woudn be right or fair to try another, either way . It like a fresh or new man in the ring. Not right on man or animal.

I agree with what your saying to a point but what if the young terrier had not been with the quarry as the topic is about 1st season dogs not finding and as you know quarry can push up tight in no time especially quarry thats been dug before,slightest sound and it will be well dug in.When you enter your young dog-bitch and it has a handfull of digs behind it but after say 10min emerges from the earth with no signs of work on it would you then try the experencied dog or walk away,imo it takes a young terrier a bit of time to learn that sometimes it has to actually dig on to find its game not just run straight into it but a young terrier that finds its quarry and works it for awhile and then comes away with signs of work on it would put doubt in my head.

• Like 2

I mean like you said, if you were relayn your dog from one another everyweek in relay what type of c**t of you and dog would you have. And dont say me, mine are goin ok. The mates couple of season work, but the none that.

Some terriers have to be relayed from wk-wk to allow to be fit to work again as you know and it all depends on how much digging there geting.

• Like 1

What's the pup done before all this? have you had him/her at earths when was to young to enter? I've no massive experience like some of the lads on here but I've made entering 1 bitch a lot harder than it should of been by having her around earths as a pup letting her rag lots of quarry and letting her sniff earths only to pull her away because she to young and when it come to entering she whuldent search properly It clicked in the end but I blame my self for that one

Agree with you zh. I try to get young terriers out to learn all the sounds and smells of the countryside but I dont believe young terriers need to rag a dead fox. Gives them false confidence as a carcase don't bite back ☺ if the terrier is mature enough imo most terriers that are bred right normally enter easy enough. Imo Any terrier that goes onto to become a good one entering isn't the problem. Its choosing the right earths and not to give them too much too soon. I try too avoid big rangey places with young terriers until they have a good few successful digs first.

• Like 1

What's the pup done before all this? have you had him/her at earths when was to young to enter? I've no massive experience like some of the lads on here but I've made entering 1 bitch a lot harder than it should of been by having her around earths as a pup letting her rag lots of quarry and letting her sniff earths only to pull her away because she to young and when it come to entering she whuldent search properly It clicked in the end but I blame my self for that one

Agree with you zh. I try to get young terriers out to learn all the sounds and smells of the countryside but I dont believe young terriers need to rag a dead fox. Gives them false confidence as a carcase don't bite back ☺ if the terrier is mature enough imo most terriers that are bred right normally enter easy enough. Imo Any terrier that goes onto to become a good one entering isn't the problem. Its choosing the right earths and not to give them too much too soon. I try too avoid big rangey places with young terriers until they have a good few successful digs first.

• Like 1

Mine was more of a case of the dog not wanting to search and missing in some stupidly easy spots and I think this was because she was getting the prize with out grafting for it these days i will take them out at about 6 months 1 or 2 times more for the drive out and getting used to traveling in the box than anything else. then again at 12 month then I will let them have a rag or chase one off then the next few months I will try them if they go they go if they don't no problem leave them behind and try again later and it's working good for me but with what happend with that bitch I don't have them Sniffing at earths and pulling them away or letting them continually rag quarry's other dogs have grafted for 1 or 2 times max i try to keep it as simple as possible for the dog

• Like 1

Good practise to get young pups used to the box etc. Then when the time comes they can focus on the job at hand and are not in awe of life outside the kennel. Seen young dogs that were never in a field before expected to work their first day out. The very odd terrier will work like a pro first day out but alot of young terriers are wronged this way.

• Like 5

The some who say the only try them once or twice and same guy who hardly have them out before hand, the must only expect what the once knew or saw. The need time as the can make mistake, but as you said with some ways you'd be questioning the dog, ( so to speak).

• Like 2

I try not to over think anything, at the end of the day they're green pups that don't know their heads from their arses.

I always show my pups dead game, not to often but enough to let them know that particular scent is associated with fun.

Once you do make the decision to enter the pup it should be a simple matter of finding the right earth to let him find with ease. I usually let my pups mark a few before I make the decision to let them go.

This has worked for me for the last thirty plus years so I'll stick to it.

Try not to over think your pups mistakes,the only thing I won't accept is outright cowardice, IMO there's no coming back from that but pretty much Every thing else can be worked on with positive re enforcement or just giving them plenty of time to pick up experience and learn from their own mistakes.

Edited to say There's nothing that will get your pups ready for the biting end, don't beat yourself up about stuff like that, the only thing that will teach your pup that getting to close will get him bit is getting bit itself. It's all about experience and time, time to learn and time to mature.

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 9