Shotgun Argument!

Got to laugh about being politically correct and no shooting deer with shotguns I can rember when they where first shot in the Forrestry Commssion they were left to rot as vermin where they where shot then later you just cut the haunches from them and left the rest no see how much folk pay to shot them

thanks for the input chaps, all very intersting. bottom line is...why use a shotgun when there are more than enough people out there who have the correct tools for the job!

Pretty simple realy not everyone has tools for the job ...if I had land with deer on and they were being a nusience to the farmers crops I'd have AAA in my belt When I walked round with the shotgun in-case one popped up......I defiantly wouldn't say " hold on I'll get someone in to walk round my land to get rid them deer " I'd do it my self to fill my own freezer

thanks for the input chaps, all very intersting. bottom line is...why use a shotgun when there are more than enough people out there who have the correct tools for the job!

Pretty simple realy not everyone has tools for the job ...if I had land with deer on and they were being a nusience to the farmers crops I'd have AAA in my belt When I walked round with the shotgun in-case one popped up......I defiantly wouldn't say " hold on I'll get someone in to walk round my land to get rid them deer " I'd do it my self to fill my own freezer

Fine. But if you were to get caught you would find yourself in court and you would have to defend your actions.

Do your homework I know of a bloke who was prosecuted for out of season shooting, he thought he knew it all and had done all the background but they prosecuted him because he couldn't prove the species he shot was the species doing the damage. (in this case fraying damage.)

Also, you would be on sticky ground because you hadn't previously tried legal methods to deal with the problem.

Shotguns certainly have a place in deer management but that place is very specific and very often there is a better, more hassle free method.

I rember being one of four rangers for the commission and we where shooting six days a week and they brought the red deer commission stalkers in to lamp the red deer they where such a problem in the forrestry blocks bet they wouldn't get away with that now

I rember being one of four rangers for the commission and we where shooting six days a week and they brought the red deer commission stalkers in to lamp the red deer they where such a problem in the forrestry blocks bet they wouldn't get away with that now

That's where you're wrong. Many people can and do quite legally and ethically get away with culling deer under the lamp now. It is a very useful tool.

what if a shotgun is the correct tool for the job?

Sometimes it is. That is why the defense exists. Like anything though it doesn't need abusing. Because that is when it gets taken away all together.