Greman Pointer X Greyhound

Just been thinking would an English pointer not be a better cross to a greyhound than a gwp as it would be a bit more leggy did anyone ever try one of is it coat why people go for the gwp like i said its just a thought atb bob

As an all round dog, I doubt an English pointer would be half the dog a decent gwp is........people are using gwp's because they can be an awesome hunting dog with a tough, robust nature & physique....

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 13

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few pic's of my gwp x saluki bull grey he has a great nose and the most biddable lurcher i have ever owned,not a flying machine but he suits me for the type of hunting i do.   A.T.B. Co

As an all round dog, I doubt an English pointer would be half the dog a decent gwp is........people are using gwp's because they can be an awesome hunting dog with a tough, robust nature & physiqu

Im toying with the idea of putting something fast/big/hard etc on my gwp, the bitch has made the grade on quarry from birds, to hares, good hunt, point and retrieve, stalking and bloodtrailing, foxin

Posted Images

The man seemed to have problems homing them which I thought was a bit sad. The GWP is one of the least spoiled of gundog breeds, being mostly kept and bred for work.

That's a surprise, I thought they would of been snapped up! I saw the litter at the time & if my circumstances had of permitted I would of been very tempted to travel to get one, I've got other future plans now.....but if they don't come off, I'd still be very interested in this cross if one came up.....;-)

Im toying with the idea of putting something fast/big/hard etc on my gwp, the bitch has made the grade on quarry from birds, to hares, good hunt, point and retrieve, stalking and bloodtrailing, foxing, bushing rabbits, and some boar hunting. She is one the best hunting dogs Ive had, and the most versatile. It would have to be some dog though, and fast, but I could never put a greyhound over her, as Id need better endurance and better feet/coat in the pups.

• Like 8

i speak to the people in Ireland who bred the 1st X litter. you would struggle to pair a better dam and sire, both working and well tested over number of seasons. the greyhound bitch was coursing bred that went on to work in the field and the GWP was top notch example of the breed. i was sorely tempted.

• Like 1

Just been thinking would an English pointer not be a better cross to a greyhound than a gwp as it would be a bit more leggy did anyone ever try one of is it coat why people go for the gwp like i said its just a thought atb bob

As an all round dog, I doubt an English pointer would be half the dog a decent gwp is........people are using gwp's because they can be an awesome hunting dog with a tough, robust nature & physique....

I think an English cross could be great, and as a wide hunting dog would probably have the edge over a gwp cross in my opinion, but not as easy to train and handle, and not as versatile in general, based on my experience.

• Like 1

Im toying with the idea of putting something fast/big/hard etc on my gwp, the bitch has made the grade on quarry from birds, to hares, good hunt, point and retrieve, stalking and bloodtrailing, foxing, bushing rabbits, and some boar hunting. She is one the best hunting dogs Ive had, and the most versatile. It would have to be some dog though, and fast, but I could never put a greyhound over her, as Id need better endurance and better feet/coat in the pups.

wouldn't the lurcher of yours would fit the bill?

I think an English cross could be great, and as a wide hunting dog would probably have the edge over a gwp cross in my opinion, but not as easy to train and handle, and not as versatile in general, based on my experience.

It was the versatility I was thinking of......

All pointers be it GSP GWP ESP have varied types of bloodlines but could make a beneficial factor to the lurcher gen pool training one to point then peg on command is a total other ball game finally some are seeing the real picture good luck in your search fellas .

Ive been without a lurcher for a bit now Roybo. If I still had him, Id be tempted... but with hindsight, I could find a better dog... he had a thin coat, and greyhound feet, and I know I need great feet on my dogs thesedays. Seen a really good dog was coursing blood with bull in him.... or I could wait and put her to a staghound on the other side of the pond.

I agree accip, more versatile than the english, and like you also said, robust in physique and nature.

Ive been without a lurcher for a bit now Roybo. If I still had him, Id be tempted... but with hindsight, I could find a better dog... he had a thin coat, and greyhound feet, and I know I need great feet on my dogs thesedays. Seen a really good dog was coursing blood with bull in him.... or I could wait and put her to a staghound on the other side of the pond.

I agree accip, more versatile than the english, and like you also said, robust in physique and nature.

Was that the big fawn dog? What happened to him?