Hi New To Falconry

carlotti2015

Im in the same boat as you and the advice I was given is do lots of reading and then try and get out with someone who is flying to gain some experience! I've been reading for well over a year and a half and slowly building knowledge, Ive been out flying with someone now too (it is difficult to find someone but you will!)

I might be going into it too slowly for some and some people might not want to spend as long in the research phase as me, (Im planning at least another season before I'd consider my first bird) but if this is something you want to do and want to do well then it will be very time consuming and I feel putting in the time now before i get a bird will enable me to care for the bird to the best of my ability, which at the end of the day I believe is the most important thing!

Others may give different advice and will be far more knowledgeable than me, but hey this is my opinion- hope it helps :D

Matt

• Like 3

When I first started out I went out with a person that flown a Harris as I wanted a Harris and wanted to learn the ropes.as I spent a year we him flying with him and I was the ferret helper to.as there is alot of books out there to read .as I'm not a book reading person and just listen to everything the person told me .and then he would test me on some questions to see if I really was taken everything in.and after a year outing I got my first female Harris and then the person helped me with all the training and had him on speed dial if I needed help with anything.and now ive went from flying a Harris to a goshawk and he helped me out for the gos to.

Edited by sean goshawk
  • Like 1

Keep ,plugging away mate , you will find someone to help you eventually . I was very lucky I found a great guy who flew peregrines , he eventually became my mentor and helped me through a Falconry apprenticeship scheme.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist anymore .

• Like 1

Hi everyone thanks for great advice really appreciate it and will take all comments on board, like I said I'm new to falconry and never done it before but willing to learn anything and everything about it and will definately put 100% into it. This is why I'm trying to get as much info as possible so I know what I'm doing and getting the experience, getting to know the Harris etc, I don't want to get a Harris and not have a clue what I'm doing this is why I'm asking so many questions. Thank-you for reading carlotti :-) PS I am female lol I am writing this as some of you referred me as mate lol thanks again

• Like 1

great attitude to have, it upsets me how easily people can get hold of birds and dont know what they are doing, dont realise how much work they need to put in and the end result is the bird suffering!

If the bird is your number one priority I think you wont go far wrong :)

Do keep us updated on your progress, I for one would be interested to here how you get on :)

• Like 1

Hi everyone thanks for great advice really appreciate it and will take all comments on board, like I said I'm new to falconry and never done it before but willing to learn anything and everything about it and will definately put 100% into it. This is why I'm trying to get as much info as possible so I know what I'm doing and getting the experience, getting to know the Harris etc, I don't want to get a Harris and not have a clue what I'm doing this is why I'm asking so many questions. Thank-you for reading carlotti :-) PS I am female lol I am writing this as some of you referred me as mate lol thanks again

You should try and get out with as many people as you can that are flying a variety of birds.

You mentioned getting a Harris', which are great hawks, but you may be more suited to a different species.

Are you going to hunt with the hawk, or just fly it for fun?

• Like 1

Hi mutley94 thanks and will keep you updated as I go on :-). Ive just been watching a few videos of falconry for beginners on youtube, ive also searched Google for books so that i can read upon them more and ive also been looking for clubs in my area but not much success with it at the moment but surely soon will find something. Ive even thought about attending some bird classes do you think this would be helpful? Thanks again :-)

Hi david 901 I've been looking for clubs in my area but not much success at moment, I'm not too sure of what Harris/ falcon I would be flying/hunting as im just learning and trying to get to know everything there is about it, I suppose once I find someone with the knowledge and experience and have helped me pick the ropes then I suppose I'll know. :-)

Hi mutley94 thanks and will keep you updated as I go on :-). Ive just been watching a few videos of falconry for beginners on youtube, ive also searched Google for books so that i can read upon them more and ive also been looking for clubs in my area but not much success with it at the moment but surely soon will find something. Ive even thought about attending some bird classes do you think this would be helpful? Thanks again :-)

I have been advised against classes, the people I've spoken to say it's a waste of money and you can find someone passionate who is willing to help you out of their love for the sport! But if you've never done any falconry before and/or have buckets of money then it might be a good way to see for sure that falconry is something for you before you invest time and money into it?! :)

Hi does anyone know if you have to have a license to have any bird of prey?

In the UK you don't need a license. Though some birds have to be registered with an A10 certificate.

For the likes of Harris' Hawks and redtail hawks no certificate is needed.

You should start off by reading some good books on the subject.

It will stand you in good stead and you will learn the basics.

Christmas is coming up so its a good idea to get your nearest and dearest to get some as a present...LOL

There are a few posts already on falconry books.

Try Philip Glazier's Falconry and Hawking to begin with.

All the best.

• Like 1