Feeding Times ????

Just to add when I got back to the car I gave her a mars bar and when I got home she had a bowl of fatty mince mixed with sardines and vitalin, my reason for posting is I don't usually feed before but I did today and then this happens

Feeding had absolutely nothing to do with what happened to your dog and that's a fact ......
hows it fact if her stomachs turned smart arse
Because smart arse the dog was only fed a few handfuls of meat which would have been digested long before it was hunted 8 hours later .......
how do you know it was fully digested, have you been checking the shits

Listen fella if you want to have a discussion or argument with me learn a little bit about the canine digestive tract first .......

lol

You can lol all you you want fella but you clearly don't know much judging by your posts ......

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine usually has porridge with sliced almonds,banana and some manuka honey on top about 8 am. Then about 12pm I shoot down to greggs and get him a chicken salad barm with a smidgen of mayo (no onions

I always find this kind of topic interesting and don't really see a right or wrong. It's good to hear how differently we all do things.   I personally feed one big meal a day between 5pm and 10pm. I

i always feed 5 to 6 hours before going lamping ive seen alot of dogs that havent been fed that day or even upo 24 hours previous go off there feet.

LIKE MOST I FEED ME DOG A ROUND 7,30 EVERY NITE...THAT WAY YOU NO IFF YOUR GOING OUT OR NOT......SO I FEED 40 PERCENT,,,, 4 /5 HOURS BEFORE , WHAT I FEED THEM,, MAKES THE BIG DIFFERENTS,,, ITS NOT THERE NORMAL MEAL,, PLUS ON AND OFF ALL DURING A 6/8 LAMPING TRIP,,,,,, BUT THAT IS KEPT CLOSE TO ME CHEST, LOL

Edited by tjones3862

Just to add when I got back to the car I gave her a mars bar and when I got home she had a bowl of fatty mince mixed with sardines and vitalin, my reason for posting is I don't usually feed before but I did today and then this happens

Feeding had absolutely nothing to do with what happened to your dog and that's a fact ......
hows it fact if her stomachs turned smart arse
Because smart arse the dog was only fed a few handfuls of meat which would have been digested long before it was hunted 8 hours later .......
how do you know it was fully digested, have you been checking the shits
That's the best load of bullshit I've read on here for a while.what does looking at shit tell you about food that's been digested.if it's come out of the dogs arse it's obviously been digested you really ain't got a clue mate.you are asking about how to handle 3 dogs at once while lamping pmsl.im thinking you are an anti.

You found you're toung again haha I knew a man who could tell a lots things threw dog shit, you're terribly thick aren't you

Could he tell how far the dog waked the day before.and how long the dog slept for lol

Some interesting points of view in this thread. Here's my tuppence worth:

Dogs can go wobbly through dehydration, especially on a warmish night. Don't know about the rest of the country but here in Cambridgeshire its so bloody warm its almost t shirt weather. Dry wind also dehydrates dogs more than damp weather.

Excitement can also increase risk of dehydration. Stressy, panting dogs will lose more fluid than a calm dog.

Feeding dry food can increase the risk of dehydration because the dog needs to drink one hell of a lot more than a dog fed on raw, moist food. Dog gets excited prior to going out working, may not drink as much as it should.

Feeding carbs does not give energy boost as in humans. Dogs get their energy from fat first.

I don't do a hard night's lamping any more, but when I did a full day's hard coursing I used to give dogs a scrambled egg in morning with a bit of melted fat. Nothing else. They had had their main meal the previous night at usual time: around 8pm. And as I was usually and hour or more from home I always fed a small bowl of warm (from a thermos) meaty soup in the van before I drove home at the end of the day.

How much you feed a dog depends a lot on its metabolic rate. Some dogs burn up energy much faster than others. A lamping trip can last 6 hours or more, but if a lot of that time is spent walking in search of prey then the dog won't burn out as fast as if it is running every few minutes.

Differences in breeding make a huge impact on what type of food a dog needs. I've found that dogs with a lot of Saluki in them do better on a higher carb intake than sprint dogs such as Greyhoundy lurchers which need more fat/protein. Thick set dogs with big muscles need more protein and fat. But each is an individual.

Almost lastly: dogs which have a one off wobbly turn may not be lacking in food or fitness: they could be carrying a virus or bug which depletes their body. I remember seeing a friend's dog cramp up whilst out ferreting on a sunny day after chasing a few rabbits. Turns out the dog had had a dodgy gut the day before: probably a virus or something he had eaten. Even without diarrhoea a bug can destroy/upset electrolyte balance in the body.

And very lastly: FAO tjones: if you have a secret recipe for keeping a dog going on a long night's lamping, why tease people with the fact but refuse to share it? Surely the point of a forum is to share information and help others who are trying to do right by their dogs. We all love seeing your amazing posts and achievements your dogs do, but I hardly think that sharing your 'secret' ingredient or whatever it is would be a risk to your future achievements.

• Like 4

Not disagreeing with anything anyone has said but today I was at work I phoned the wife to ask her to feed a few handfuls of fatty lamb to my dog,

She did this at 1pm, tonight I went out at 9 pm dog only had twenty runs, on the last run I knew something was wrong the rabbit was turning and gaining 20 yards or so, she picked it bought it back but as she was retreiving I noticed her back legs wobbling, took the rabbit out of her mouth and she collapsed, I squirted some lucozade down her and carried her back to the car, she is about 14 month old never seen her like it before

LIKE MOST I FEED ME DOG A ROUND 7,30 EVERY NITE...THAT WAY YOU NO IFF YOUR GOING OUT OR NOT......SO I FEED 40 PERCENT,,,, 4 /5 HOURS BEFORE , WHAT I FEED THEM,, MAKES THE BIG DIFFERENTS,,, ITS NOT THERE NORMAL MEAL,, PLUS ON AND OFF ALL DURING A 6/8 LAMPING TRIP,,,,,, BUT THAT IS KEPT CLOSE TO ME CHEST, LOL

You're not one of them fellas with a shirt pocket full of jollop are you TJ
  • Like 1

Dogs can go wobbly through dehydration, especially on a warmish night. Don't know about the rest of the country but here in Cambridgeshire its so bloody warm its almost t shirt weather. Dry wind also dehydrates dogs more than damp weather.

Excitement can also increase risk of dehydration. Stressy, panting dogs will lose more fluid than a calm dog.

Feeding dry food can increase the risk of dehydration because the dog needs to drink one hell of a lot more than a dog fed on raw, moist food. Dog gets excited prior to going out working, may not drink as much as it should.

Feeding carbs does not give energy boost as in humans. Dogs get their energy from fat first.

I don't do a hard night's lamping any more, but when I did a full day's hard coursing I used to give dogs a scrambled egg in morning with a bit of melted fat. Nothing else. They had had their main meal the previous night at usual time: around 8pm. And as I was usually and hour or more from home I always fed a small bowl of warm (from a thermos) meaty soup in the van before I drove home at the end of the day.

How much you feed a dog depends a lot on its metabolic rate. Some dogs burn up energy much faster than others. A lamping trip can last 6 hours or more, but if a lot of that time is spent walking in search of prey then the dog won't burn out as fast as if it is running every few minutes.

Differences in breeding make a huge impact on what type of food a dog needs. I've found that dogs with a lot of Saluki in them do better on a higher carb intake than sprint dogs such as Greyhoundy lurchers which need more fat/protein. Thick set dogs with big muscles need more protein and fat. But each is an individual.

Almost lastly: dogs which have a one off wobbly turn may not be lacking in food or fitness: they could be carrying a virus or bug which depletes their body. I remember seeing a friend's dog cramp up whilst out ferreting on a sunny day after chasing a few rabbits. Turns out the dog had had a dodgy gut the day before: probably a virus or something he had eaten. Even without diarrhoea a bug can destroy/upset electrolyte balance in the body.

And very lastly: FAO tjones: if you have a secret recipe for keeping a dog going on a long night's lamping, why tease people with the fact but refuse to share it? Surely the point of a forum is to share information and help others who are trying to do right by their dogs. We all love seeing your amazing posts and achievements your dogs do, but I hardly think that sharing your 'secret' ingredient or whatever it is would be a risk to your future achievements.

because if he did then everyone else would no how catch 100 rabbits a nite then he wouldn't be a hunting life legend lol

because if he did then everyone else would no how catch 100 rabbits a nite then he wouldn't be a hunting life legend lol

LOL IM ONLY PULLING YOUR LEG,,,,LOL BUT I DO HAD THIS TO SOME THINK ELSE AND SOME THINK ELSE,

IMG_2679_zpsqbap4va3.jpg,

A dog takes on average 9 1/2 hours to digest its food, i ALWAYS feed my dogs early afternoon..that way they are ready to roll having had a full tank of fuel onboard and by midnight when i begin lamping they are prepared and eager to work,fed again on return perhaps just a half feed and AGAIN a full feed after lunch ready to go to war again the next night..without fuel your dog aint doing hard graft FACT,if your just out to run one or two then i'd do things different i guess but that's not my style..try going on an all day hunger strike yourself and see if you could go do a hard days work? ..It ain't rocket science guys/gals

• Like 5