Have Forums Had Their Day?

Since the rise of facebook groups have forums had their day? the fact you can hide behind a name on here gives people power of abuse, i know from my own experience on this site there are some idiots on here that are anti police and think poaching is ok. I recall a post i put about what law was broken and received many PMs over the fact i was going to report someone.

Now yes there are as many idiots on facebook and still see stupid comments, but you can block them, they tend to be monitored a bit closer, and you have to use your name as apposed to an alias.

I like a forum, you can learn and can easily find the post your following, face book a good topic comes up and its gone in days, as its full of other stuff, but i have noticed a big drop in posts on here with stories and reports.

I was told this forum was going to be updated with a way to stop certain groups/people posting on here but that never happened. It is a shame but a forum is only as good as those who post.

there is a post on here from the Guy from the States Andrew and he was asking to go with someone, his last post "Jok- dont worry at all. This is not the only forum I have posted on. I have actually gotten multiple offers from people on other forums saying they will take me out hunting. I am happy to say that I believe my chance of going hunting this Spring are relatively good"

so he has had other offers on another site, that puts us to shame on here surely. and yes i will offer to take him

Edited by Philluk
  • Like 6

I think I recall the post you are referring to - the one where a lifetime poacher was caught for the umpteenth time red-handed up in Scotland and most of the replies were from people will Bull-X's as their avatar saying what a great bloke he was and anyone who disagreed was just jealous!

The posts are obviously appreciated as they are read loads of times. There's just seems to be very little appetite for comment / debate.

As you suggest, I find Facebook absolutely useless for tracking and following conversations. I am a member of a number of shooting and hunting Facebook pages and none of them can get close to even a mediocre forum. Horses for courses I say and Facebook is an ass.

• Like 1

Iv took a few lads off here shooting and some we have even put them on our permission slips

on the understanding that they have to let us no or be with us when they go .

I just think as its harden enough to get perms in the first place it makes a lot of lads very protective of there perms

Me and Vis vet them before taking them to our perms

But iv not got a problem with that , if they live close they will be invited .

and yes this forum has got some knobs on it i was talking to one last night and told him to F,off in the end

and thats not like me at all

but you can only take so much negative comments and i blew lol

but i still like this forum as there are still loads of good lads on here whether its rifle , dogs , or any other form of hunting

and a wealth of knowledge to be had off them

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 3

I think I recall the post you are referring to - the one where a lifetime poacher was caught for the umpteenth time red-handed up in Scotland and most of the replies were from people will Bull-X's as their avatar saying what a great bloke he was and anyone who disagreed was just jealous!

The posts are obviously appreciated as they are read loads of times. There's just seems to be very little appetite for comment / debate.

no wasnt that post i was referring to although i do remember it, i also have met some great people on here and read some great stories, but even now just come in from shooting and scrolled down facebook see whats about, some good pics of dogs, new guns, new scopes etc.

I would like to see more on here but the knob brigade seem to get here first

typical post from someone who gets into deer hunting and like many before you think that they are something above other ordinary people. looking down there noses at people who might not have the fancy clothes or a certain posh accent.deer are there for everybody we all got to eat.look at the photo you have on your profile of a few deer lying there why the need to shoot so many?or maybe they were on the way to a game dealer.maybe a bit more conservation and you would nt have to worry about who else is out.or maybe you want all to yourself :bad:

typical post from someone who gets into deer hunting and like many before you think that they are something above other ordinary people. looking down there noses at people who might not have the fancy clothes or a certain posh accent.deer are there for everybody we all got to eat.look at the photo you have on your profile of a few deer lying there why the need to shoot so many?or maybe they were on the way to a game dealer.maybe a bit more conservation and you would nt have to worry about who else is out.or maybe you want all to yourself :bad:

or maybe he is a successful deer manager who is carrying out his work which others do not understand

• Like 2

I rest my case,

Edited by Philluk
  • Like 1

I used to post on a kelpie forum which eventually died a death about two years ago due to Facebook. I almost joined myself but whenever I see my wife looking at it and seeing photos of people's dinner or solitaire hands :blink: and photos of people who know people who know people that she once met :blink: I decide to just go my own way and pop on here instead. Sometimes you have to do a bit of sifting to get a good opinion or answer to a question but I often find it's worth it if you try not to get riled by the few who don't share your opinion.

Luckily im qute placid ,lol,but to go to any long lengths posting to get a few likes and the odd good shot mate has worn a bit thin .Discussion is also one thing whereas full blown arguing is another and the latter has happened enough to make me wary to post any more .

• Like 1

I think most forums go through stages. I am on car related ones as well. I find where people are busy with life, jobs etc then they will alter their attention, so move to Facebook, or drop out. Then their life will alter again and they are back.

I've not been on here long but I am impressed by the content and personalities