How Much Retrieving

Put a tennis ball in a sock with a knot in it play tug games with him. Start him on the side of the house alleyway etc.only throwing few feet.get on your knees so you are at his level and he ain't looking at your legs.praise praise and more.he will soon click on.sit on the kitchen floor with him and throw the sock.the dog will soon retrieve to you unless it's demented which I doubt.

• Like 1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

why keep a pup away from rabbits until its 8 months that doesnt and never has made sense to me mine are mouthing rabbits in nets as soon as they are jabbed

I can honestly say I do very little retrieving training with my pups . I believe that if a young dog is taught to listen, has a good bond with you and has nothing to fear from you he will retrieve to

There's more to the retrieve than just throwing an item, you have to keep your space (roughly 3ft) as a safe and secure place for the pup to access   He must have zero fear in that area especially

My new first cross whippet greyhound is 11 weeks old and doing brilliant. My mother stitched a rabbit skin that i dried out in a couple of socks. I throw it up the gareden and he retrieves it perfect ☺☺ i do it 4 times and put it away. Dont want him to get bored. See what happens when he catches his first rabbit ???

• Like 1

There's more to the retrieve than just throwing an item, you have to keep your space (roughly 3ft) as a safe and secure place for the pup to access

He must have zero fear in that area especially when carrying a prized item,

I like to hand feed a pup from young this does 2 things It builds trust for the pup coming into that space and it overcomes the issue of a prized item needing a secure area ie , I am no threat , he feels no resistance to me

Don't disciple until a pup is mature enough to be responsible for his own actions, you start training the retrieve after confronting a pup for mouthing or jumping up or some other action and it's like pissing against the wind, a pup is weighing up the relationship in every interaction

If the trust is built, training anything after that is a breeze

• Like 3

Yeah well I've tried to keep my pup away from rabbits atm as he's only 8 months so maybe we he starts working it'll be natural. Yeah Matt I do that with him atm so guess I just gotta keep at it and hope for best. Cheers lads

why keep a pup away from rabbits until its 8 months that doesnt and never has made sense to me mine are mouthing rabbits in nets as soon as they are jabbed ;)
  • Like 3

Yeah well I've tried to keep my pup away from rabbits atm as he's only 8 months so maybe we he starts working it'll be natural. Yeah Matt I do that with him atm so guess I just gotta keep at it and hope for best. Cheers lads

why keep a pup away from rabbits until its 8 months that doesnt and never has made sense to me mine are mouthing rabbits in nets as soon as they are jabbed ;)
as i only lamp ?? What would you do ??

Id had spaniels until my running dog who is now 8.

I could not get him to retrieve at all. I recently found an old email to the breeder asking for help and mention that he will chase anything i throw for him and he would try and steal stuff off the spaniels but not himself.

I do feel looking back i was more interested in getting him to chase stuff (thought it wouldnt come naturally lol).

He has done the occasional retrieve of pheasants over the years and this season at 8.5 yrs old brought his last 2 hares back from out of sight, as soon as he saw me he stopped, so its definetly in there just think hes a lazy ignorant sod lol.

I have also had spaniels that I couldnt get to retrieve but i put that down to my training techniques at a young age and have since adapted my style to whichever dog im training. next lurcher will be the test for me. Oh he is a 1/4 whippet, 1/4 beddy 2/4 grey

Cheers for replies all, keep them coming. I've a friend who never throws anything just takes them out as pups and calls them once they catch. I'm finding alot of dogs no matter how good your retrieving training is goes out the. Window on the first few live ones

There's more to the retrieve than just throwing an item, you have to keep your space (roughly 3ft) as a safe and secure place for the pup to access

He must have zero fear in that area especially when carrying a prized item,

I like to hand feed a pup from young this does 2 things It builds trust for the pup coming into that space and it overcomes the issue of a prized item needing a secure area ie , I am no threat , he feels no resistance to me

Don't disciple until a pup is mature enough to be responsible for his own actions, you start training the retrieve after confronting a pup for mouthing or jumping up or some other action and it's like pissing against the wind, a pup is weighing up the relationship in every interaction

If the trust is built, training anything after that is a breeze

Casso, I follow your posts because they make sense. However, I cannot see how hand feeding, will improve retrieving? I can see how it would make the pup come to you, but that is not retrieving really is it, if you cannot build a bond between youself and your pup without resorting to bribery? My mantra has always been if you can make yourself more attractive to a dog than any other option, your on a winner.

I am sure that you have had great results using your methods. By the same token no method is infallible and there are pitfalls with every method. As long as people are aware of the pitfalls and how to counteract each one, preferably before they happen, there is absolutely no reason why any dog cannot be trained to retrieve.

TC

• Like 1

I can honestly say I do very little retrieving training with my pups . I believe that if a young dog is taught to listen, has a good bond with you and has nothing to fear from you he will retrieve to please you. I never use treats with any age dog I just don't believe in them .... I start a pup to rabbits at around 12 / 14 months old letting the pup watch an experienced dog at work for a few nights . I will pick an easy rabbit for the pup and walk away from anyone I am with so the pup hasn't got to return to another person and a snapping dog . I don't whistle or shout and I keep things calm with the pup. It works for me :thumbs:

• Like 3