fly tying help

Guest bigredbusa

Guest bigredbusa

im in charge of buying the father inlaw a xmas pressie this year , he wants to get into fly tying / fishing so i want to buy him a fly tying kit with all the bits and bobs to get him started. also whats a good entry rod / real / line etc...

any ideas of what i should be looking at as im really lost with this one

Try Yorkshire Game Angling on www.yga.yorks.com they stock some decent starter outfits and an extensive fly tying range.

Best beginners outfit is a 9' to 9'6" rod, 7 weight line and reel with 3 spools to take 3 lines - floating, intermediate and sinking.

Good Luck

Tonyc

For the price of them the Shakespeare Oddysey fly rod is very good value for money as a first rod, as tony says 9' to 9' 6" is ideal. If youre just after the bare basics i wouldnt spend a lot on a reel to start with as for most of the time all they are is something to hold the line, again shakespeare do some very cheap ones. the first line id buy would be a floater.

For fly tying kits there are loads about now, beware of some they are full of a lot of materials you'd probably never use, again as tony says yorkshire game angling do some good kits. Then start keeping him all the pheasants, hares masks, moles etc etc you come across :D

Guest bigredbusa

i just got him a fly tying kit of the dreaded ebay , so now will look for a rod and reel /line etc.. so i will start a search for 9 - 9.6 rods , whats a good entry level reel to look at?

once again thanks

Most people go for 'large arbour' fly reels now. theyre a bit bigger with a wider spool which gives you a few advantages. holds more backing, gives a quicker retreive and also the fly line tends to stay a bit straighter.

it really depends what you want to spend on one they go from £15-20 all the way up. i still have a shakespear graflite among my reels that cost about £15, it does the job no problem.

Here's one from someone who has bought every fly tying material known to man over the last 25 years. If there's one thing which I wished I'd bought on the first day of my fly-tying career it's a good quality genetic grizzle cock cape. The buggers cost upwards of £50 but add a few dyes to vary the colours and you'll have hackles to tie most flies. Please pass this on to your father in law!!! He'll thank you in years to come. Good place to get one is here

Lakeland flytying

Hope I've been of some help!

Gerry

Edited by drumgerry