That Duck Topic!!

Just keep telling walshie your giving him a like. He has a blackboard at the side of his computer and chalks them up.

:thumbs:

Yeah, but it's full now. :laugh:

I get really cheesed off with shooters who "practice" on living things. Surely you would ask where to shoot so-and-so BEFORE doing it (wrong) then asking. Unfortunately wounding is part and parcel of shooting, but it can be minimised if you use your head a bit.

Respect for quarry is paramount in my book whether it;s a rat or a deer.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you not allowed to shoot them with lead shot, single projectiles are exempt, but they make lead free pellets anyway. not saying its the right tool for the job but its not illegal and will do the job

Nowt wrong with air rifles man   just the other night i shot     5,stags   3 wild hogs and a partridge in a pear tree     atvbmac :thumbs:

what a bell end

Just keep telling walshie your giving him a like. He has a blackboard at the side of his computer and chalks them up.

:thumbs:

Yeah, but it's full now. :laugh:

I get really cheesed off with shooters who "practice" on living things. Surely you would ask where to shoot so-and-so BEFORE doing it (wrong) then asking. Unfortunately wounding is part and parcel of shooting, but it can be minimised if you use your head a bit.

Respect for quarry is paramount in my book whether it;s a rat or a deer.

Amen to that

All the best

I couldn't agree more. Shooting first then asking questions later doesn't do field sports any good.

But rather than having a public hanging thread i think it's better to educate :thumbs:

It's a bit similar to that "goose" thread this.

If the airgun, rifle, naturally, isn't "good enough, or right" for the duck species, then whats the thoughts on the game birds, pheasants and so on? I completely agree of course, Im just putting it out there...

I know some of the lads on this very forum who have the permission to shoot the pheasant species... Ive personally never thought it right to shoot what technically isn't vermin and indeed someones property... but the lads do have the permission from what I hear.

Bit late to the chat but its a thought.

If the airgun, rifle, naturally, isn't "good enough, or right" for the duck species, then whats the thoughts on the game birds, pheasants and so on? I completely agree of course, Im just putting it out there...

I know some of the lads on this very forum who have the permission to shoot the pheasant species... Ive personally never thought it right to shoot what technically isn't vermin and indeed someones property... but the lads do have the permission from what I hear.

Bit late to the chat but its a thought.

If you have authority to take game birds,on private land,it matters not one jot if the birds have strayed from a shoot next door, once on your landowners property, they are his/hers, legally, if you are empowered to shoot them, you are shooting the property of your landowner, simple as that,nearly every permission I have bar one I think, gives me authority to shoot pheasants,and indeed any game I want, including deer,(not that I have deer on many) when I replied to the original thread, I mentioned that in my opinion, most landowners,be they farmers,estate owners or the employees of such, would probably take a dim view of shooting duck on a pond, be it with an air rifle,shotgun, or any other kind of sporting weapon, but the same could easily be said of shooting a pheasant on the ground,a full power airgun, is quite capable of despatching duck cleanly at sensible ranges,no doubt about it, and over the years I have, as I mentioned, done it myself,but,and this is only my opinion, the enjoyment derived from duck flighting with a shotgun on a winters evening and pulling off some good shots, is in a different league, to sitting potting them with an air rifle off a pond, but if it is legal (as it clearly is) and you have the landowners blessing, then who has the right to tell you not to do it?

• Like 1

A full power air rifle is more than capable of cleanly dispatching ducks at realistic ranges. No one bats an eyelid at 30 plus yard shots at crows etc which are equally as robust as ducks.

Just my opinion of course

Pernod.

No doubt about it. Crows are tough. :thumbs: But as they weigh on average less than half what a duck does, I doubt they are equally robust.