Newbie Ferreter Question

I've had ferrets from working lines that have been complete jank....... And I've also had rescue pet ferrets they have been the absolute dogs nuts. One of my current best workers is from a pet ferret.

If you need a hob I have a sandy that I may be re homing

• Like 2

In the uk and ireland the pet and working lines arent much different. The pet ferrets came from working lines originally but id still try and get ferrets from workers first. You are more likely know how they will work from how the parents work. Most of mine came from pet homes and are solid workers.

• Like 1

In the uk and ireland the pet and working lines arent much different. The pet ferrets came from working lines originally but id still try and get ferrets from workers first. You are more likely know how they will work from how the parents work. Most of mine came from pet homes and are solid workers.

pet ferrets came from working lines....possibly true did nt make it as workers and were given away as pets and the pet owners bred and bred them and ferret rescues sprung up :hmm: never heard of them when there was only working ferrets available

Y.I.S Leeview

leeview. Two of my ferrets came from pet homes but both their parents which were bought as pets came from working homes as kits, surplus after breeding or whatever. I wouldnt say they all never made the grade. Obviously some would be failed workers. Also it isnt just pet ferret owners that over breed them, plenty guys that hunt have litters of ferrets on sites for sale every summer and are charging top whack for them. Instead of getting jills jabbed or getting a vac hob to bring them out of season. A bit of extra income. When i was a kid their were just ferrets they all worked to my knowledge. They were for putting food on the table. Seems to be only the last 25 year that people started keeping them as just pets. Atb.

I can remember getting my first ferrets from abbot bros in Norfolk,they'd advertise in the exchange &mart,I bought 2 white Jill's ,and they came up on the train boxed,to of the best Jill's I can remember ,back in the day' £3.00 each with carriage,then we discovered the cattle markets,ferrets made 50p,under sold and abused the ferret has been for years,at the end of the day,your ferrets owe you nothing for the pleasure and food they provide,good luck with your ferrets, e f,I hope they give you many years of quality hunting,they have me,40yrs and many more I hope atb dd

• Like 3

I can remember getting my first ferrets from abbot bros in Norfolk,they'd advertise in the exchange &mart,I bought 2 white Jill's ,and they came up on the train boxed,to of the best Jill's I can remember ,back in the day' £3.00 each with carriage,then we discovered the cattle markets,ferrets made 50p,under sold and abused the ferret has been for years,at the end of the day,your ferrets owe you nothing for the pleasure and food they provide,good luck with your ferrets, e f,I hope they give you many years of quality hunting,they have me,40yrs and many more I hope atb dd

That brings back so many memoirs ferrets coming down by train.

Go for one from working lines better chance of a good one.

Cheers Arry

leeview. Two of my ferrets came from pet homes but both their parents which were bought as pets came from working homes as kits, surplus after breeding or whatever. I wouldnt say they all never made the grade. Obviously some would be failed workers. Also it isnt just pet ferret owners that over breed them, plenty guys that hunt have litters of ferrets on sites for sale every summer and are charging top whack for them. Instead of getting jills jabbed or getting a vac hob to bring them out of season. A bit of extra income. When i was a kid their were just ferrets they all worked to my knowledge. They were for putting food on the table. Seems to be only the last 25 year that people started keeping them as just pets. Atb.

rd so 2 of your ferrets came from working grandparents,

plenty of guys who work their ferrets dont breed till they need to for themselves and gift any over to other working ferret owners without charge, rescues asking for a donation of £40+ is normal these days and even higher if the ferrets a must have colour!! I had ferrets over 55yrs now and have never taken them out of season by jabs or vasectomised hob, WHY my thinking is either of these 2 solutions has the jill thinking shes pregnant and she'll be back in season in 6 weeks and what do you do then?

When you was a kid and all ferrets worked to your knowledge, did you ever come across ferret rescues? Or as I believe did ferret rescues come about in the last 25yrs? which coincidently seems to be the same time people started keeping them as pets :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

Hi leeview. Any ferrets i got back in the day were given to me for nothing. As you say gifted, the way it should be, but the 2 ferrets that i was on about cost me 25 euro each, which is the going rate here. Cheapest iv saw were 15 euro each for working ferrets and the most expensive being around 100 euro for a normal sable ferret. That was coming from a pet home. Their doesn't seem to be much gifting going on here. I still gave away what i wasnt using myself out of my litter as i preferred good homes for them more than anything. honestly i dont know nothing about the rescues other than what you told me and id say your right the rescues probably did start up when more people started keeping them as pets as more started breeding them. Think their is only one or two rescues that deal with ferrets here in the full country. They try and find foster homes for them if they cant i know they send some over to the rescues in the UK. ATB ☺.