Labrador Dropping Dummy On His Way Back

Hi all,

Been a while since I last posted. Asher the lab is now 10 months and Gundog training is in full swing. It's going quite well, apart from one hitch.

When I throw a dummy and send him after it, he goes out and gets it, I then get on my knees, clapping away with arms wide open, but he always seems to drop the dummy before he gets to me. I tell him to go and get it, and sometimes he runs out for it and gets it, brings it a little closer to where I'm standing, then drops it again!

I cannot get my head around how to stop this. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

I'd throw it just in front of you not to far away then gradually throw it further . Don't rush it even if it's three foot away do it ten times one day then the next go five foot and so on . The keys doing it over and over again until it sinks in . My mates had the same prob he's put his on a long lead and encourages him to come all the way back seems to be doing the trick . Good look

Teach him to carry the dummy before you push-on with the retrieves. Put him on a lead and walk him with the dummy in his mouth. Make him sit or stand from time to time at heel with the dummy still in his mouth. Then carry-on walking with him at heel still holding the dummy. Once he is doing this and only releasing the dummy into your hand when you ask try having him stay with the dummy in his mouth and walk back the length of the lead and call him for a controlled release into your hand. Only do this a couple of times. Stop on a high note with one good "retrieve" and praise. Its that good retrieve and attendant praise that should stick in his mind rather than your frustration at a dozen half-arsed retrieves. You can use a longer lead from time to time and if you do it in an ally or hall-way it reduces distractions.

Don't always accept the dummy when he has brought it back but keep him walking with you at heel for a little distance . This stops the dog automatically assuming he can drop the dummy at will or pre-empt commands. And keep the dummies in a special place away from toys so he knows they are ,er special.

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Comanche has just given you some good advice, it is common sence to be fair never complicate training especially at this stage of training, if the dog is not presenting the dummy why complicate that part of their training with a retrieve, like Comanche says get him holding dummy near you first, sit him up with dummy in his mouth and walk away from him then back to him and increase the distance then call him to you then throw the dummy and hopefully your work should of paid off ? Good luck but most of all have fun and enjoy it

I had this problem once.

I solved it by running away from him and suddenly turning round and taking it with lots of praise.

This made him forget about dropping it and got him running up to me at speed instead of slowing towards the end of the retreive.