Deer Species

pronhorn antelopes best chase ive saw and far by the fastest ive saw , in this country , roe have been the best sport caut fallow, sika ,munties, , ,overal roe who no what a dog is ,are very good , sika we caught were in open woodland no great shakes speed wise bucks had power but soon got them down with our collie lurchers years ago, munties saw them trying to tusk my bitch years ago , dropping there head and trying to put the horns in , but she new the score ,

roe are very saleable and can be carried with one man , and a capable type lurcher saluki type or hard blooded collie type have been good for me over 25 years or more ,

to me get them down help the dog its not some white fang story from alaska , had some great sport with running dogs and beasties ,

• Like 2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The test with the larger deer was never the catching but the stopping.... Just because your dog makes contact doesn't mean you have them in the bag.

Roe could be explosive,fast to reach top speed but many were just plain stupid and were easy pickings to a half handy dog,they had a good sharp short burst of speed then the gas started to run out,Fal

All I ever used and saw ran was salukis and saluki crosses, so can't comment on how the compare to other crosses, but they did the job bang on for us, and the curious thing was they all seemed to fin

Roe could be explosive,fast to reach top speed but many were just plain stupid and were easy pickings to a half handy dog,they had a good sharp short burst of speed then the gas started to run out,Fallow does were poor in the main,when a dog got within touching distance they folded and that was that,their other halves the Buck's were more of a test for sure obviously with being heavier,stronger and just more darn awkward for the dog to get over.Red's were a different ball game altogether,a decent hind can stand over 42tts without its large neck and huge head on top they could intimidate many dogs just with their sheer size,that's not without even talking about the Stags..many dogs would run them but grabbing and then keeping a hold was a whole different ball game..them beasts although looking cumbersome with their running style were seriously fast,their sheer size & power alone meant for the most no obstacle was a hindrance to them,their stamina was unbelievable, double,treble in fact probably five fold of that of other UK deer species..they weren't called the ULTIMATE test of a running dog for nothing..Red's ruled and nothing came close guys.

And then there's sambar deer over here that are as smart as anything, run down the hill quicker than a red, twice the size, twice the stamina, but once tripped even the biggest of stags will lay down and squeak like an elk bugling with just a single 28 inch dog on the throat. And on a flat or up hill they're as fast as a fox.

I can't see anything taking down and holding down a Red Deer on its own let alone a Sambar......

Still happens though.

Yeah in Fairy Tale land....

Roe could be explosive,fast to reach top speed but many were just plain stupid and were easy pickings to a half handy dog,they had a good sharp short burst of speed then the gas started to run out,Fallow does were poor in the main,when a dog got within touching distance they folded and that was that,their other halves the Buck's were more of a test for sure obviously with being heavier,stronger and just more darn awkward for the dog to get over.Red's were a different ball game altogether,a decent hind can stand over 42tts without its large neck and huge head on top they could intimidate many dogs just with their sheer size,that's not without even talking about the Stags..many dogs would run them but grabbing and then keeping a hold was a whole different ball game..them beasts although looking cumbersome with their running style were seriously fast,their sheer size & power alone meant for the most no obstacle was a hindrance to them,their stamina was unbelievable, double,treble in fact probably five fold of that of other UK deer species..they weren't called the ULTIMATE test of a running dog for nothing..Red's ruled and nothing came close guys.

And then there's sambar deer over here that are as smart as anything, run down the hill quicker than a red, twice the size, twice the stamina, but once tripped even the biggest of stags will lay down and squeak like an elk bugling with just a single 28 inch dog on the throat. And on a flat or up hill they're as fast as a fox.
I can't see anything taking down and holding down a Red Deer on its own let alone a Sambar......

Still happens though.

A fallow buck puts sambar to shame in all areas except brains. The amount of pointers over here that catch and kill the odd sambar in the mountains would surprise anyone. Just because they're big doesn't mean they have any fight.
  • Like 1

Still happens though.

A fallow buck puts sambar to shame in all areas except brains. The amount of pointers over here that catch and kill the odd sambar in the mountains would surprise anyone. Just because they're big doesn't mean they have any fight.

Well Red Deer don't lay down so easily that's for sure, must be something in the water over there. Just can't see any dog taking down and keeping a Sambar down, they are huge. I've never seen one dog tackle a Red and come out on top so you can see why I'm a bit skeptical, and I've seen some powerful dogs too.

Still happens though.

Well Red Deer don't lay down so easily that's for sure, must be something in the water over there. Just can't see any dog taking down and keeping a Sambar down, they are huge. I've never seen one dog tackle a Red and come out on top so you can see why I'm a bit skeptical, and I've seen some powerful dogs too.

I've just googled sambar........average weight can be 3-400lb & much more!..........that's some beast for a 60-80lb dog to hold.....I guess they're quite submissive...

Still happens though.

I've just googled sambar........average weight can be 3-400lb & much more!..........that's some beast for a 60-80lb dog to hold.....I guess they're quite submissive...

Just can't see them being a submissive animal, after all they have predators such has Tigers and Dholes. I'd seriously love to see anyone slip their dog on one. Easy to say on a computer but in reality once they saw the size of one they'd be like.... Gulp.....

Still happens though.

Just can't see them being a submissive animal, after all they have predators such has Tigers and Dholes. I'd seriously love to see anyone slip their dog on one. Easy to say on a computer but in reality once they saw the size of one they'd be like.... Gulp.....

I really wouldn't know mate, but they're bigger than I realised! ;-)

They will not throw one kick once on the deck. I've witnessed over 30 reds get killed. Only a couple were solo. 7 were killed in one hunt and all 4 dogs used couldn't hunt for 6 weeks afterwards. One dog was used on the sambar in one instance and she caught and killed two hinds and a good sized stag on her own in very rough mountains and she went on to catch 5 other big critters and kill them on her own that night, and it wasn't the sambar that made her sore. We couldn't believe it how a fully mature stag got tripped after a few attempts and the deer laid on its back squealing, not one kick.

I thought in this instance it was a sick animal or something, but it happened time and time again. I've since given up chasing those great beasts. The only way I will hunt them now is with upcoming dogs walking the hills,

They remind me of a St. Bernard, all size and no guts

• Like 1