Introduction And Question

Hello all,

My name is Rick Ault and I was directed to this site from a similar one popular in the US that is primarily used by those who enjoy trapping. I have been an avid outdoorsman my whole life spending my time hunting and fishing. A couple years ago as a result of a move associated with my job (I'm a middle school teacher) I found myself with little opportunity to hunt my preferred game, waterfowl, and decided to take up trapping. I spend most of my time trapping in the fall and winter for raccoons, bobcats, fox, and coyotes although the coyotes seem to elude my skill level more than I catch them. My oldest son is in the military stationed at Lakenheath AFB in England and I will be visiting over the Christmas holiday this year. One of the other things I enjoy most in my travels around the world visiting my son is meeting other outdoorsmen to see what they do and how they enjoy outdoor traditions like hunting and trapping. I do know that the laws are very different in England than those of the United States and was hoping to meet someone in England while we are there who would be interested in showing me what you guys trap and how you do it. I had asked about this in the international forum on the Trapperman.com website and a gentleman from the NW coast had recommended I come here to pose the question.

If anyone would be interested in showing a Yankee some of the animals and ways you trap I'd love the opportunity to tag along.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Rick

Hi Rick. Welcome to THL site. I do hope someone takes you up on your offer! Only trapping I am hooked on is the Alaskan TV programmes that are broadcast here.

So what kind of outdoor "sports" do you guys enjoy in England. I know that most if not all waterfowlers belong to a club in order to hunt but what about the big game hunting and such. Is it all private land hunting here?

Hello all,

My name is Rick Ault and I was directed to this site from a similar one popular in the US that is primarily used by those who enjoy trapping. I have been an avid outdoorsman my whole life spending my time hunting and fishing. A couple years ago as a result of a move associated with my job (I'm a middle school teacher) I found myself with little opportunity to hunt my preferred game, waterfowl, and decided to take up trapping. I spend most of my time trapping in the fall and winter for raccoons, bobcats, fox, and coyotes although the coyotes seem to elude my skill level more than I catch them. My oldest son is in the military stationed at Lakenheath AFB in England and I will be visiting over the Christmas holiday this year. One of the other things I enjoy most in my travels around the world visiting my son is meeting other outdoorsmen to see what they do and how they enjoy outdoor traditions like hunting and trapping. I do know that the laws are very different in England than those of the United States and was hoping to meet someone in England while we are there who would be interested in showing me what you guys trap and how you do it. I had asked about this in the international forum on the Trapperman.com website and a gentleman from the NW coast had recommended I come here to pose the question.

If anyone would be interested in showing a Yankee some of the animals and ways you trap I'd love the opportunity to tag along.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Rick

that was me ;) trapperman is a great forum as is this and ime sure of you have a thick skin you will be fine hear :laugh:

regards "mawdyman"