Raising The Base Of My Garage And Leveling My Drive

my driveway garage and garden are separated from the house by a private road up the back, and my garden and garage are quite a lot lower than the street, which has left me with a bloody steep driveway that apart from being a pain in the arse to pull the boat out of, also takes the run off from the whole street and deposits it in my garage (which is f**ked anyway). im going to put a base down and buy a shed for the garden next week so I can store all my stuff in there while I knock the old garage down. Then what ide like to do is build a raised base for a new garage to go on and probably a retaining wall down both sides of the drive so I can fill it in with hardcore/MOT ant pour a concrete driveway that's level or slopes slightly towards the road. For the garage base, id like to use concrete block all the way round the outside and keep the inside empty for storage under where the new garage will be? if that makes sense lol just a small door from the garden in to a void under the garage, for lawn mowers and crap like that. but how would I then go about putting the floor in for the garage? Id like to be able to get a car in there so im thinking a wooden floor would be out? could I shutter it up and cast a concrete floor over it? put enough steel in it? maybe if I put a pit in the middle aswell (just 4 concrete walls) it would give it some extra support?

any ideas lads, obviously im still in the planning stage, but I need to get on with it or ill spend the money on random crap lol

cheers ant

I'll try post some pics as it is now to give you an idea of what ive got to work with ;)

post-46517-0-87360900-1448552981.jpg

post-46517-0-67184100-1448552994.jpg

post-46517-0-48293200-1448553005.jpg

For my own kennel a need to build the back end up and slope down towards my drain what would i be better to do leave under the block and beam empty , fill it up with type one to the required level for ventalation or just fill in the whole empty space underneath the block and beam feedback is appreciated mate it will be a builder who does it just so i have a bit of knowledge before the guy comes to look at the job so a know what hes talking about lol

For my own kennel a need to build the back end up and slope down towards my drain what would i be better to do leave under the block and beam empty , fill it up with type one to the required level for ventalation or just fill in the whole empty space underneath the block and beam feedback is appreciated mate it will be a builder who does it just so i have a bit of knowledge before the guy comes to look at the job so a know what hes talking about lol

You can leave the space empty underneath as thats what they do in houses when using t beams ..

• Like 2

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg beam an block floor an screed over the top of it

what is it that holds the beams in place? do you bed them on morter or is it just that there isn't enough room for them to move anyway? as in set them on a lip. also do you need to screed over them? as it would help with ventilation to the storage underneath without the screed? cheers for the replys lads :victory:

With t beams you generally use mortar made into a slurry and brush it over then when thats dry you screed over it ... And yes you'll need to look into planning permission for what your doing

• Like 2

You don't need block and beam at all mate, build the foundation up, if its deep use cheap hardcore like crushed brick, then a decent layer of limestone (crush and run) make sure the limestone is compressed properly, and fit a plastic membrane to stop rising damp, if its going to be covered that is, pointless if not, then just concrete it up to finished level, dead easy.

• Like 2