Anybody Make Yew Tree Bow?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One thing this thread had thrown up is that, despite being considered the classic material for a simple bow ,yew doesn't seem to be a first choice for amateur bow-makers on THL. I've never bee

You have to cut Yew right to make a proper bow, heartwood performs well under tension, and green wood works well under compression, so heart wood at the front of the bow, but its an art to do it right

Used to make a few bows of osage orange when i lived back east hickory to and i brought quite a few staves with me when i moved west but i haven't finished any for a while ,made a few recurved bows on

Posted Images

What shafts are you shooting at 50 pence mate?

its quite a few years ago now, but that's what they used to cost me to make, trouble is my brain is still living 30years behind my body, if you add about thirty years of inflation to that,the pebble comes out an even better deal
  • Like 1

One thing this thread had thrown up is that, despite being considered the classic material for a simple bow ,yew doesn't seem to be a first choice for amateur bow-makers on THL.

I've never been able to find a bit of English yew that looked like it would be any good for a long-bow.Certainly not one that I would be prepared to desecrate the tree for on the off chance it might be usable. This might explain why many of the famous long-bows of Old England were shaped from imported billets. Though I have read that some longbows were made in two halves and joined in the middle.

Anyway here are a few I made earlier.

post-13773-0-76508800-1465747661_thumb.jpg

The left -hand one is ash and probably 25 years old. I originally planned to add a sinew back but that was side-lined after a puppy discovered my stash of sinew.

Next is a very short privet bow. It was longer but I made the mistake of leaving it in the back of my pick-up on a shoot day and without asking permission a chap decided to have a go with it. There is a delicate technique to stringing a short-bow and this chap didn't have it. Hence for the last 20 years it has been a very-short-bow. Privet makes excellent bows. If you find a neglected hedge, sneak back at night with a saw:)

The recurved bow with black lines burned down the belly is of wild plum and although its a pretty cool shape its a slug to shoot.

The bow on the right with the evil natural reflex is privet and its not strung in the picture because its a b*gger to do.

Do any of em shoot like a modern bow?. No ;but they are fun.

Edited by comanche
  • Like 6