Anybody Make Yew Tree Bow?

• 5 months later...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One thing this thread had thrown up is that, despite being considered the classic material for a simple bow ,yew doesn't seem to be a first choice for amateur bow-makers on THL. I've never bee

You have to cut Yew right to make a proper bow, heartwood performs well under tension, and green wood works well under compression, so heart wood at the front of the bow, but its an art to do it right

Used to make a few bows of osage orange when i lived back east hickory to and i brought quite a few staves with me when i moved west but i haven't finished any for a while ,made a few recurved bows on

Posted Images

Used to make a few bows of osage orange when i lived back east hickory to and i brought quite a few staves with me when i moved west but i haven't finished any for a while ,made a few recurved bows one of mullberry with a sinew back prolly 35 lbs though mullberry not that great for sinew backing used wild rose shoots that i cut in the winter and hand straightened over the stove for shafts as well as dog wood and some shafts i split outta clear douglas fir lumber and planed by hand ,and so much more i could prolly write a book about all the stuff iv'e done in making traditional archery gear ,though i never got a deer with it i spent many days in the fields and woods trying ,keep saying i'm going to start again but i just haven't ,and what with up north we have yew trees that i doubt very many people take though i met one fellah who lives up there and he does make yew bows ,oh and the sap wood is what takes the tension and the heart wood the compression you can also sinew back the heart wood -peel all the sap wood off and come up with a very effecient hunting weapon for the close in forrests any way as that is one way many Natives out here made their bows and well i could go on and on but i'l leave it for some oneelse to talk about a bit .

• Like 5

Try and get a few old stick-and-string mags or primitive archery,they arent as accurate as modern day compounds,and you wont get the range when hunting due to this lack of accuracy,be lucky.

How good would it be to stalk and kill a roe or even red in English woodland with a bow? What a fantastic experience that'd be for a hunter......

Fallow are easier during the rut,pre-ban.

• Like 2

I saw a few yew and ash bows this morning at an archery comp,some of the guyss were quite useful with them,but not a patch on the compound users who had more than double the extra range and a lot more accurate,but for instinct shooting stick and string primitive is the best.

post-1930-0-83487700-1465131472_thumb.jpeg

I saw a few yew and ash bows this morning at an archery comp,some of the guyss were quite useful with them,but not a patch on the compound users who had more than double the extra range and a lot more accurate,but for instinct shooting stick and string primitive is the best.

that lars Andersen I think that's his name he is good with the bow n arrow

I know you were asking about making a wooden bow, but I have seen some half tidy bows and crossbows made from old ski,s they can be bought quite cheap and all you need is the wooden bit for the middle section, another little tip for any budding archers on a budget is to get yourself a catty and learn to shoot it accurately, the aiming is very much the same, but it's a lot cheaper loosing a pebble or a ball bearing than an arrow at 50p a go and when you have worked out your anchor points, aiming points and strongest and weakest eye, you should be able to pass them over to your bow shooting cheers

• Like 2

I know you were asking about making a wooden bow, but I have seen some half tidy bows and crossbows made from old ski,s they can be bought quite cheap and all you need is the wooden bit for the middle section, another little tip for any budding archers on a budget is to get yourself a catty and learn to shoot it accurately, the aiming is very much the same, but it's a lot cheaper loosing a pebble or a ball bearing than an arrow at 50p a go and when you have worked out your anchor points, aiming points and strongest and weakest eye, you should be able to pass them over to your bow shooting cheers

good tips there