Mounts For A Photon Xt 6.5

Standard 30mm mounts should do you, in some cases the the POI is too low and a shim is required in the rear mount, in the form of camera film or metal shim from a can cut. I have one fitted to a cz452 .22 and it's fine without any shims.

Standard 30mm mounts should do you, in some cases the the POI is too low and a shim is required in the rear mount, in the form of camera film or metal shim from a can cut. I have one fitted to a cz452 .22 and it's fine without any shims.

Cheers Ian remember something about guys having to shim the back mount .. see how it is once it arrives now .. thanks ATB merlin

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I would appreciate some advice about shims for my 6.5 Photon. I have not used shims on any scope before so I would be interested in any general ideas. I have my Photon on a Browning T-Bolt and my POI is a bit low at 60 yards when I have the scope dialled for maximum elevation (30 on the digital counter). So it sounds like I need to lift the rear mount. Should I make some shims, if so, what do you use ?

Thanks for the info. about putting coasters on the focus ring, I've just ordered some. The ring is a pig to turn, it's far too tight. The ring is also difficult to find at night, the grooves should be deeper to make it more recognisable to the touch.

I don't use any booster on the scope, I find that the built-in one is pretty good for rabbits.

Thanks for any advice.

I ended up using adjustable mounts , the rear needed raising . i have heard of guys using camera film , cloth that came with the scope , coke can , trouble with shimming the rear is you're putting strain on the tube ..adjustable are better i would say ..

Thanks Merlin21, what mounts did you use ? I like the look of the Sportsmatch ATP 72 but they are a bit too tall (21mm when 15mm would do) for my T-Bolt weaver rails. I might just have to get them and suffer the scope being slightly high.

After giving it some thought I decided that I would try out one of the old methods before spending £70 on the adjustable mounts, so I cut a strip off a Kronenburg can and put it under the scope in the rear mount. It made a slight difference; I could re-dial the elevation down from -30 to -25. Might just leave it at that for now - saving up for a pair of binos.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi Mr P, I also have a Browning T bolt and am struggling to get eye relief with my Photon. The only way round it is as far as I can see is to get a long Weaver basebto fit onto the existing ones. The Yukon reach forward/backward mount is no use as the base is 61m footprint and the Browning bases are 85mm. I did try Hawke 2 piece 2in reach forward but unfortunately the base of the Photon catches on it.

Cheers

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

I like my T-Bolt, the bolt action is fast and it is a well balanced rifle. A couple of bugbears though; the magazine does not always take the 10 rounds, it frequently will not accept more than 8. It might just be my magazine. If anybody has any tips on this I'd be keen to hear what I'm doing wrong (by the way £40 for a mag is outrageous). Secondly, the trigger is a bit clumsy, but like all triggers once you get to know it, it's fine enough. I only use mine for night shooting with the Yukon, zeroed at 50 yds. I like the Yukon, but it just isn't a day scope.

• 9 months later...

Hello, I would appreciate some advice about shims for my 6.5 Photon. I have not used shims on any scope before so I would be interested in any general ideas. I have my Photon on a Browning T-Bolt and my POI is a bit low at 60 yards when I have the scope dialled for maximum elevation (30 on the digital counter). So it sounds like I need to lift the rear mount. Should I make some shims, if so, what do you use ?

Thanks for the info. about putting coasters on the focus ring, I've just ordered some. The ring is a pig to turn, it's far too tight. The ring is also difficult to find at night, the grooves should be deeper to make it more recognisable to the touch.

I don't use any booster on the scope, I find that the built-in one is pretty good for rabbits.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi can you tell me how you have mounted the Photon on your T- Bolt?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mr P, I also have a Browning T bolt and am struggling to get eye relief with my Photon. The only way round it is as far as I can see is to get a long Weaver basebto fit onto the existing ones. The Yukon reach forward/backward mount is no use as the base is 61m footprint and the Browning bases are 85mm. I did try Hawke 2 piece 2in reach forward but unfortunately the base of the Photon catches on it.

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger

I also have a T-Bolt .17HMR and trying to find bases mounts to attach my Photon, please could you tell want you have used?

Thanks

flfair