Using A Sire Twice In A Row

Which is why i added proven .Proven to me is not only work but throwing his like too.

a bit of a contradiction because at the first mating he hasnt proved he passes on his like so someone has to use the dog on its work only.

Edited by snagbrac
  • Like 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly ,how many of you have ever done the repeat mating because appears to be a lot of 'my mate did' or 'i once knew ' . Pity topics like this wernt confined to fact not hearsay or classroom theor

There lies the answer.     Statistically with the same Sire & Dam with an even number of offspring the results should be the same and quality of pups the same. Varying Environmental condition

I've heard this a lot mostly from old timers and I've come to the conclusion that's it's an old wives tale imho . I've seen breeding done in fowl where the turnover and results can be seen a lot quick

Terrier, greyhound, chicken an horse. What about us humans!!!!! You say You wouldn't have "faith, t.rust"in a repeat mating!!!. So to put it into context. Taking into consideration the average family in eire 50yes ago was about 40 kids. There is a good chance your old boys with their theory, are the product of many repeated matings!!!!!!!!!!!!! And your saying you "put your faith and trust " in them. mmmmmmmm interesting.

• Like 1

LOL, 40 is an exaggeration, it was usually around the 20 mark.

Interesting you should mention humans because I've heard it said a few times that the second child is always more likely to be ill than the first.

Not my theory or anything but I've heard it said.

Plenty of second an third and so on children have been far better physically than the first so that goes out the door. My opinion on would I breed a sire a second time I sure would no bother at all if the first litter worked, even with no proof it will work or not. I would not go on someone who told me so. But we are all entitled to our own opinions. And I believe It should be trail and error on your own account and on your own terriers as your litter may prove better a second time using the parent , but may not be the same case in a different yard, different blood different result.

• Like 3

It's the same sperm bank same ovaries same dogs different day and a little luck needed if it worked once with a high percentage of workers you shouldn't be far away again and if it didn't work the first time you would have to be a fool to try again jmho fb

• Like 3

Here's another thought, what if the same mating happened five years apart, could it be the user error factor ? By that a mean the owner the second time around could of lost the same drive he had or just didn't put the same effort into the pups ?

I'm of the opinion that like begets like and you only get out what you put in.

• Like 8

Which is why i added proven .Proven to me is not only work but throwing his like too.

a bit of a contradiction because at the first mating he hasnt proved he passes on his like so someone has to use the dog on its work only.
The thread is about repeat matings Sherlock.By the second mating the first litter would be working .To use a stud exclusively over many bitches is my choice and certainly sets the seed for work .Confidence is whats needed as is the choice of a good strong dog .Once proven to throw his like ,the temptation is to work him less often so as to reduce the inevitable .

The thread is about repeat matings Sherlock.By the second mating the first litter would be working .To use a stud exclusively over many bitches is my choice and certainly sets the seed for work .Confidence is whats needed as is the choice of a good strong dog .Once proven to throw his like ,the temptation is to work him less often so as to reduce the inevitable .

Fd,let's say the chosen stud dog dies of old age or when working. Would you chose a dog from him then to continue the line? Ideally how many seasons work would he have done and what bitches would you put him back to. How closely related would they be? Interesting thread.

Here's another thought, what if the same mating happened five years apart, could it be the user error factor ? By that a mean the owner the second time around could of lost the same drive he had or just didn't put the same effort into the pups ?

I'm of the opinion that like begets like and you only get out what you put in.

the point is moriarty you said you only use a dog thats proven as a worker and a producer i pointed out that some has or had to use the dog before he was a proven producer, simples anything else you need help with dont be to shy to ask.[/quote)

Put it this way Miss Marples,many ,many lads on here will be writing about the haphazard breeding of non related stock just because it works .Work is essential of course BUT its no guarranty of continued work as lads find out to their cost every year .I have no experience of this type of breeding so excuse me if skip the fact im breeding from proven producers of workers .Ive said enough on the subject in previous threads to write it all out again tbh