Using A Sire Twice In A Row

All this talk of age affecting results in litter, what's best age to breed off a mutt then?

Again I'm no scientist but I would chance breeding of an old dog because his contribution is small, crucial, but small (I'm aware he's 50% of the genes) and to carry on a line you might want to put him over his grand daughter or even great grand daughter. As long as he's in good health that is.

However because a bitch carries the pups for nine weeks while feeding them from her own body and then while rearing them can take a lot out of some bitches I would only breed out of middle aged bitches that are in great health.

JMO.

• Like 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly ,how many of you have ever done the repeat mating because appears to be a lot of 'my mate did' or 'i once knew ' . Pity topics like this wernt confined to fact not hearsay or classroom theor

There lies the answer.     Statistically with the same Sire & Dam with an even number of offspring the results should be the same and quality of pups the same. Varying Environmental condition

I've heard this a lot mostly from old timers and I've come to the conclusion that's it's an old wives tale imho . I've seen breeding done in fowl where the turnover and results can be seen a lot quick

To take a tip from a fool is only foolish not wise, Id rather learn make my own mistakes and build on it , and old man told me santa was real but turned out to be BS. And again its a topic that can never be proven the only FACT on this is it will work for some and not others so where we going on this.

• Like 4

Not so long back old timers would snap the eye teeth on a ferret, So it goes to show not all old timers talked sence!. Personally I have repeated a mating on numerous occasions to no deficit to work or constitution. He who claims to "know all" is a fool! He who knows nothing and claims to know nothing is the enlightened one! Glitches funakoshi. Okanowa. . Japan

• Like 5

It is a wise man that is careful who he takes advice as some people no matter what age will never learn.

Remember the old lads down my way saying if you pick up a pup by the scruff or jowls and it yelped then the dog was not the one to pick in a litter? All it told me was they were bloody idiots.

As we are belting out the proverbs.

If at first you do not succeed........ Sky diving is not for you.......

Edited by Corkman
  • Like 4

Not so long back old timers would snap the eye teeth on a ferret, So it goes to show not all old timers talked sence!. Personally I have repeated a mating on numerous occasions to no deficit to work or constitution. He who claims to "know all" is a fool! He who knows nothing and claims to know nothing is the enlightened one! Glitches funakoshi. Okanowa. . Japan

In my experience he who says he knows nothing is usually the guilty one.

• Like 1

Guilty of what! Neil?......................Believing everything that an old-timer tells you?....three times repeated a mating, no problems!. Sleight variation of the coat between the three litters. Pups I kept back, all became sensible, reliable grafters.................................... So there you go, Do you have any solid proof that it is detrimental to repeat or is it just "hearsay"..................................and "if", it is hearsay,gossip,old wives tale should you really spout it off as "Gospel"

• Like 5

In a couple of my first posts I did say that it's all a matter of opinion and one thing I do know about breeding is that the recipe for success can't be worked out by a formula on a piece of paper.

The formula is usually to put the best to the best and hope for the best and the classroom is the field.

Yes I agree that the old timers of yesterday were their own worst enemies and a lot of their methods were cruel to say the least. Thankfully those days are gone.

But the sort of men I'm talking about a lot of them are still active dog men and their theories on breeding were well and truly tested and as I keep saying if it works for them then it's good enough for me.

Also as I've said before, I only breed for myself and if a breeding works out then the next breeding that I do will hopefully be the next generation, not a repeat mating.

IMO for a small breeder like myself that would be taking a step backwards.

• Like 2