Using A Sire Twice In A Row

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly ,how many of you have ever done the repeat mating because appears to be a lot of 'my mate did' or 'i once knew ' . Pity topics like this wernt confined to fact not hearsay or classroom theor

There lies the answer.     Statistically with the same Sire & Dam with an even number of offspring the results should be the same and quality of pups the same. Varying Environmental condition

I've heard this a lot mostly from old timers and I've come to the conclusion that's it's an old wives tale imho . I've seen breeding done in fowl where the turnover and results can be seen a lot quick

It's a very good question.

I used to look at pedigrees 'till they came out my ears and noticed a lack of repeat matings.

I asked a big breeder of bulldogs at the time why those boys didn't repeat mating and he told me it's because they rarely click a second time. In theory if the first litter worked out then a repeat second should too but not so.

The secret is that if you find a breeding that clicks is to use a similarly bred dog over your bitch the next time.

I know folk are going to come on here saying it worked for them but we're talking averages.

• Like 2

I've heard this a lot mostly from old timers and I've come to the conclusion that's it's an old wives tale imho . I've seen breeding done in fowl where the turnover and results can be seen a lot quicker than in terriers . And a good quality producing hen will leave good quality , not all of them will be good but the vast majority should be consistent no matter how many times they're bred . So to sum up I believe as long as the sire and dam are good quality then there shouldn't be a problem .

• Like 9

I know what you're saying Marshman but I don't think it's as common with fowl as you think.

Yes, to find two families that click is the main secret to success but if you find a cock that compliment's a particular hen it will be four years before you'll know if the repeat mating was a success.

Most lads don't have too many fowl over six years old ,taking into account that the broods were two when first bred from, and to have the original cock and hen would be doing well.

BUT, then again you could be 100% right because I'm only going on what I've been told too and as I only breed terriers every few years I breed for my next generation, not to repeat matings.

It's one of those topics that's based on opinion, not fact.

• Like 3

There lies the answer.

formula1.jpg

Statistically with the same Sire & Dam with an even number of offspring the results should be the same and quality of pups the same. Varying Environmental conditions and predisposed expectations may colour the outcome. Inheritance and gene allocation (if that's the right word) can obviously differ between litters which is most probably the reason why breeders see different results between same way bred litters. It also depends on how loose or not the breeding is (COI) to get re-occurring results.

We leave nothing to chance in Cork Boye.... some craic eh :blink:

• Like 9

I've got pups here off a repeat mating and the pups off the second litter are twice the animals.

The first litter must have been good Dillydog if it was repeated.

If the second litter was much better then that shows that repeat matings can be different. Whether for good or bad.

• Like 2

Because I'm an honest man Neil I'll tell you that I had nothing to do with the breeding of either litter. The first was by a young dog who stole the bitch, the second was the same dog given the chance yet again through bad management.

Don't blame me for the second litter (I was in hospital) but I'll take it on the chin for the first, I'm getting dull with old age.

• Like 3