Hunting On Your Own

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is a wonderful feeling when out on your own and you get somekind of good results. I am talking about terriers here.I don't know what other people think upon here about taking just one terrier out,

Typical on your own scenario this morning. Terrier in and fox bolts. Lurcher pulls him down around 15 foot from a house and garden. Just as I was about to run over to the lurcher here's the terrier

Suppose it's ok if you plenty of open country to go at going out on your own! But too many roads round us for no one to be on them and make sure hounds cross safely

I do most of my digging on my own and it's just about having a routine. Everything close to hand, including the chain and collar already pegged so I can tether the terrier without leaving the dig.

It's not too bad but if it get's deeper than 5 or 6 feet the good start's to go out of it and then it's hard work.

It's when your on your own that the sort of thing happens that no one will believe you if you told them.

I had close one years ago where I squeezed into a tight spot at the end of a dig and it took me a long time and all my energy to get out.

I was lucky that day.

I've heard of a huntsman in the Munster area who takes out a full pack and a terrier on his own when cubbing. I'm told he can keep them back and dig at the same time.

Fair play to him.

• Like 2

Thanks neil I usually work the hounds first thing and block old Charlie in then go back after I box the hound in then work the terriers it's just how I do it but open to others opions thanks for the reply neil

Fair play to you.

No harm to also know the law on what you can do and can't do at a mark.

I also agree with what's been said about letting hounds know why they mark in the first place.

You're a lucky man if you have a good marking pack.

I do most of my digging on my own and it's just about having a routine. Everything close to hand, including the chain and collar already pegged so I can tether the terrier without leaving the dig.

It's not too bad but if it get's deeper than 5 or 6 feet the good start's to go out of it and then it's hard work.

It's when your on your own that the sort of thing happens that no one will believe you if you told them.

I had close one years ago where I squeezed into a tight spot at the end of a dig and it took me a long time and all my energy to get out.

I was lucky that day.

I've heard of a huntsman in the Munster area who takes out a full pack and a terrier on his own when cubbing. I'm told he can keep them back and dig at the same time.

Fair play to him.

Can be a fecking dangerous game digging on your own :yes: a small cave in or a fall could be the end of you, sounds like you had a real lucky escape.

You should at least make sure someone knows roughly where you're headed so if you don't come back they know where to go to find the body :laugh:

• Like 2

Typical on your own scenario this morning.

Terrier in and fox bolts. Lurcher pulls him down around 15 foot from a house and garden.

Just as I was about to run over to the lurcher here's the terrier drawing fox number two. I reach in and take out terrier and fox releasing him.

The terrier sees the lurcher with the dead fox and I let her go. She beats me to it and at this stage the lurcher is pulling the dead fox and the terrier under the fence and into the garden. I get over just in time and pull them back. Where's my leads ?

Back at the earth.

I had to use the dead fox to get all back to the earth and dispose of the fox. I have full permission where I was but it's still not on to have dogs ragging a dead fox in someones back garden so yes, a second set of hands can be handy.

Monster of a dog fox too. Sorry I hadn't a set of scales to weigh him.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 6