Association Of Working Lurcher/longdogs ( Awl )

I was involved in the start with the other club but through work commitments and my wife needing 5 operations this year I just didn't have time to give to another project so I pulled out fairly early and have no idea what's happening with that. I cant see how a lurcher club can be detrimental to us in the lurcher world and I think that personnel grievances should be put aside for the greater good which is to promote lurcher work in a positive manner which in turn may help to overturn the hunting act should we ever have that chance. as an example I recently went to have a look at a rabbit control contract which would cover dozens of farms and whilst talking to the secretary of the organisation I was asked what dogs we would be using, when I mentioned lurchers I could feel the air chill around me and even more so when the words .... we don't have good views on lurchers was spoken to me .... so to cut a long story short I got both dogs out of the truck walked them across the drive where they ignored the farm cat who was sleeping ... through the flapping chickens and ducks passed the cows that were inside feeding prior to milking past the horse paddock up over the fence into the lambing field where I sent them out to hunt ... I stopped them 20 meters out told them to lay down and went back to the table to carry on the meeting ... once the secretary was happy and seen what the dogs were like around livestock and how well they could be trained I whistled them in and put them to sit at my feet where they stayed for the rest of the meeting ... that 15 minuets not only helped change that farmers mind about lurchers but the other few dozen farmers that are part of the syndicate ... if we all changed the mind of just one person and that person went on to change another persons views etc etc we would soon see more and more support for lurcher work, and if there is a body that can help promote and unite this cause then that has got to be a good thing surely .........

• Like 9

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a recent article written by Alan Tyer .   Alan is the Chairman of the AWL , some may of read a more streamlined version in the Countrymans Weekly.         The Association of Lurcher C

I was involved in the start with the other club but through work commitments and my wife needing 5 operations this year I just didn't have time to give to another project so I pulled out fairly early

Hunting is not a blood sport it's a sport that's in your blood ! Happy hunting

Posted Images

I was involved in the start with the other club but through work commitments and my wife needing 5 operations this year I just didn't have time to give to another project so I pulled out fairly early and have no idea what's happening with that. I cant see how a lurcher club can be detrimental to us in the lurcher world and I think that personnel grievances should be put aside for the greater good which is to promote lurcher work in a positive manner which in turn may help to overturn the hunting act should we ever have that chance. as an example I recently went to have a look at a rabbit control contract which would cover dozens of farms and whilst talking to the secretary of the organisation I was asked what dogs we would be using, when I mentioned lurchers I could feel the air chill around me and even more so when the words .... we don't have good views on lurchers was spoken to me .... so to cut a long story short I got both dogs out of the truck walked them across the drive where they ignored the farm cat who was sleeping ... through the flapping chickens and ducks passed the cows that were inside feeding prior to milking past the horse paddock up over the fence into the lambing field where I sent them out to hunt ... I stopped them 20 meters out told them to lay down and went back to the table to carry on the meeting ... once the secretary was happy and seen what the dogs were like around livestock and how well they could be trained I whistled them in and put them to sit at my feet where they stayed for the rest of the meeting ... that 15 minuets not only helped change that farmers mind about lurchers but the other few dozen farmers that are part of the syndicate ... if we all changed the mind of just one person and that person went on to change another persons views etc etc we would soon see more and more support for lurcher work, and if there is a body that can help promote and unite this cause then that has got to be a good thing surely .........

Exactly Ken, anything done to show we aren't field wrecking, theiving thugs surely is a good thing.

But there is definetly people within our "own ranks" who have personal feelings towards those who are involved ( at least that's how it looks from an outsiders point of view).

I never got the rows between 2 clubs on here, and always wondered why both sets of people couldn't come to a mutual ground and work together, but for whatever reasons there seems to be certain cliques which run deep!!

Have you joined this club Ken?

Problem is, for every responsible lurcher owner there is several not so responsible, always was, always will be.

Cheers, D.

Problem is, for every responsible lurcher owner there is several not so responsible, always was, always will be.

Cheers, D.

then try and be responsible for the first time in your life ......

• Like 1

Personalities and Egos have always and always will be part of the dog world its the nature of the beast. Running dogs and lurchers have always been clanish and cliques. .the present association is no different and it will be interesting to see what materialises in the future from this representative body.most of the folks I speak to suggest that not alot has changed but benefit of the doubt be given to see the renamed group move in their chosen direction things take time but the unfortunate thing is that time for hunting and country activities is quickly running out.

Jesus there's some barriers within eh!!

Are these purely personal? Or do people truly want to see this club or another club fail??

I'd say 90% of us quietly get on with working out dogs in a decent manner, do we need a club? Maybe, maybe not.... But I wouldn't knock those trying to make it happen....although I found it strange when 2 clubs were vying for position, but again it all seemed a bit personal to me... old squabbles or fall outs maybe?? Or just good old egos?? Those who don't know never will, and probably don't really care lol...

But fair play to those who persevere, and try and do the right thing for the lurcher game, can't be a bad thing surely??

Honestly there is no anomosisty in the AWL..

I speak here for myself & for the comittee and can honestly say two groups both set out with the best of intentions and for whatever reasons they chose a different direction..

I've no ego and no axe to grind with anyone that's willing to work towards inhancing and promoting lawful lurcher work.

The AWL is a open door to anyone who wishes to support and promote the lurcher and defend our right to hunt with dogs.

Alan Tyer the chairman, makes it clear anyone is welcome to join the AWL and he is aware that we have a louder voice when we all stand together..

90% if not all, can carry on as they are and joining the club at this point, may not have a significant impact on what and how they go about it..

I've joined the AWL & the Countryside Alliance..

The bonus with the CA is the insurance & with the AWL, I know my view is & can be vocolised, at the right places..

Its not my decision but I don't think the AWL should hold shows..

Rosettes and lures are not my thing..

There is plenty enough of them..

That's not my decision and it's for the members and the committee to decide on.

The subscription is not for frittering away on news letters, or anything other than covering the costs of getting our representative to London or anywhere else, the AWL have concern to attend.

None of the subscriptions have been spent and we have received donations above and beyond our expectations.

People have funded a lot of different things out of their own pockets..

The hope with the AWL is, when the hunting act is discussed, we are taken seriously and can demonstrate we are not all the poachers and rougues we unfortunately get portrayed as..

We can't guarantee anything other than, we want to fight our corner and yours..

Now South ham hunter..

I'm loaved to even respond to you, however ill just make this clear one last time..

You who posted you'd poisen travelling people's dogs, would not be welcomed into any lurcher club.

You troll these threads & it's clear you've no intrest in what is trying to be achieved..

We've all heard you many times, so I politely suggest you just move along.

Back to the AWL topic...

Anyone who has geniune thoughts or suggestions can contact the AWL you are able to discuss matters of lurcherwork and are under no pressure to join or donate any funds..

This is not a money making venture nor one to have a weekend jolly..

This in my opinion is a chance to be heard and to show that lurcher work can be equally represented such as other hunting factions are..

• Like 1

Jesus there's some barriers within eh!!

Are these purely personal? Or do people truly want to see this club or another club fail??

I'd say 90% of us quietly get on with working out dogs in a decent manner, do we need a club? Maybe, maybe not.... But I wouldn't knock those trying to make it happen....although I found it strange when 2 clubs were vying for position, but again it all seemed a bit personal to me... old squabbles or fall outs maybe?? Or just good old egos?? Those who don't know never will, and probably don't really care lol...

But fair play to those who persevere, and try and do the right thing for the lurcher game, can't be a bad thing surely??

Honestly there is no anomosisty in the AWL..

I speak here for myself & for the comittee and can honestly say two groups both set out with the best of intentions and for whatever reasons they chose a different direction..

I've no ego and no axe to grind with anyone that's willing to work towards inhancing and promoting lawful lurcher work.

The AWL is a open door to anyone who wishes to support and promote the lurcher and defend our right to hunt with dogs.

Alan Tyer the chairman, makes it clear anyone is welcome to join the AWL and he is aware that we have a louder voice when we all stand together..

90% if not all, can carry on as they are and joining the club at this point, may not have a significant impact on what and how they go about it..

I've joined the AWL & the Countryside Alliance..

The bonus with the CA is the insurance & with the AWL, I know my view is & can be vocolised, at the right places..

Its not my decision but I don't think the AWL should hold shows..

Rosettes and lures are not my thing..

There is plenty enough of them..

That's not my decision and it's for the members and the committee to decide on.

The subscription is not for frittering away on news letters, or anything other than covering the costs of getting our representative to London or anywhere else, the AWL have concern to attend.

None of the subscriptions have been spent and we have received donations above and beyond our expectations.

People have funded a lot of different things out of their own pockets..

The hope with the AWL is, when the hunting act is discussed, we are taken seriously and can demonstrate we are not all the poachers and rougues we unfortunately get portrayed as..

We can't guarantee anything other than, we want to fight our corner and yours..

Now South ham hunter..

I'm loaved to even respond to you, however ill just make this clear one last time..

You who posted you'd poisen travelling people's dogs, would not be welcomed into any lurcher club.

You troll these threads & it's clear you've no intrest in what is trying to be achieved..

We've all heard you many times, so I politely suggest you just move along.

Back to the AWL topic...

Anyone who has geniune thoughts or suggestions can contact the AWL you are able to discuss matters of lurcherwork and are under no pressure to join or donate any funds..

This is not a money making venture nor one to have a weekend jolly..

This in my opinion is a chance to be heard and to show that lurcher work can be equally represented such as other hunting factions are..

Cheers mate, very well put.

I agree entirely on a United front is the only way forward, if ever a chance comes to repeal the ban or at last secure the little we have left legally.

I only know my little "clique" personally so don't know the bigger issues amongst other people, some just seem to want to derail for no good reason??

Anyway I've punted £11 on worse ideas!! Lol

• Like 1

I wouldn't joim a club, what I do is my business. I merely stated you didnt answer a single of traceys questions which you didn't!

do you and giros club not write for te same magazine???

do you and I drive on the same motorway?!

I wouldn't joim a club, what I do is my business. I merely stated you didnt answer a single of traceys questions which you didn't!

nope

Are you sure?

• Like 1

nope

Are you sure?
if you don't live in Northern Ireland then I'm def sure

nope
Are you sure?
if you don't live in Northern Ireland then I'm def sure

then you are def correct