Jumping Pics...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does this one count? He's more running over them but he had to jump to get there lol.  

Posted Images

:laugh:@ Tiercel...

Not realy a fan of unnecessary, 'up and over', posed images...

Never have been and as I have been saying all my life,..the job is plenty dangerous enough, without playing silly beggars for a photo opportunity. I think a cameraman can get the same idea of a lurcher leaping a safe object, without fecking about around barbed wire fences and suchlike...

In saying that,.the more competent, skillful and familiar a working dog is, with all the required disciplines,..the better. :thumbs:

_MG_7300p.jpg

WELL SAID,,,WHY ADD RISK

Is jumping important for a lurcher its something I've never really thought of till I seen this .

I like a lurcher to (hjkcc ) would you really want one that can't jump ? Chases a rabbit and it runs under a fence ,dog can't jump it prob try to run through it and get cut up bad so defo need to be able to jump. in my view jumping is just as important as retrieving . I take it you are newbie to training lurchers and working them .don't mean to be harsh on you but get your dog jumping as it could save it from injury and all so get few more rabbits atb with dog .
no not a newbie to lurchers just never trained them to jump all tho she will jump if needs be believe it or there ain't many places where I lamp that there is sheep fencing its all single strand electric fencing Edited by bob84

Some cracking photos but how many of you lads place your coat or something over barbed wire fences when sending a dog over, recently started to put my wax jacket over just in case of a lazy jump, as said in previous comments a dog getting caught in barbed wire is a season ending injury or worse death, I always like to stack the odds in mine or the dogs favour and making a jump safe is right up there

Some cracking photos but how many of you lads place your coat or something over barbed wire fences when sending a dog over, recently started to put my wax jacket over just in case of a lazy jump, as said in previous comments a dog getting caught in barbed wire is a season ending injury or worse death, I always like to stack the odds in mine or the dogs favour and making a jump safe is right up there

This pup of mine went through a lazy phase Ant, she was hitting the fences with her back end or even chest sometimes. Fences what she had previously cleared. She's got a decent coat and thick skin and the barbed wire wasn't really hurting her, just taking a bit of fur away. It was heart in mouth at times but I know that if I started putting a coat over she would never have learnt and would still be a lazy jumper now. She got a few scrapes and learnt to clear the fences every time. I think we need to have more confidence in them sometimes.

I agree we should try to stack odds in the dogs favour, but equally they aren't made of glass and are tougher than we think. I don't think a barbed wire fence being jumped at slow speed or from standing (with you close by) poses a great risk in comparison to letting the dog off a slip lead in the dark in pursuit of it's quarry up to 40mph around a whole host of obstacles.

I've seen dogs tangled in barbed wire fences and come off okay (cuts, scrapes, stitches). Not seen any come off so lightly from hitting an obstacle at full speed.

Either way, each to their own and fair play to you for putting the dogs welfare first ?

• Like 1

is that a ACDX wildrover?? Nice dog anyway atb cbx

It is mate, sadly passed away last year aged 13
Sorry for loss mate what percentage acd & grey was it mate?? atb cbx

50/50 ACD X Grew x ACD X Grew
looks a cracker mate what was is turn of speed & stamina like on it mate?? atb cbx