Jumping Pics...

The problem with a lot of fairly high jumping done before a dog is fully mature is that the damage is invisible and the effects do not show until the dog is older, maybe 2, 3, or even 4 years old.

Gaz: are you sure that your pup hadn't just outgrown her strength when you said she went through a 'lazy' stage? Pups grow in spurts, and when the bones are growing the muscles take a while to catch up in terms of strength. That is why I don't like to do much jumping at all until the bones have finished growing and the muscles are developed enough to propel the dog over things without jarring joints etc.

• Like 2

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does this one count? He's more running over them but he had to jump to get there lol.  

Posted Images

your walking down a country lane and the paddocks either side have got bunnys running around on top during the day , you look for gaps in the barbed wire fence and theres none , you've got a lurcher with you that's not short of brains and you have a solid bond with him, he trusts you and you know his capabilities and wouldn't ever overface him, do you send him over to catch or carry on walking and think about swapping your lurcher for a pug to take for a walk down the lane instead ?

Edited by green lurchers

your walking down a country lane and the paddocks either side have got bunnys running around on top during the day , you look for gaps in the barbed wire fence and theres none , you've got a lurcher with you that's not short of brains and you have a solid bond with him, he trusts you and you know his capabilities and wouldn't ever overface him, do you send him over to catch or carry on walking and think about swapping your lurcher for a pug to take for a walk down the lane instead ?[/quote it depends

your walking down a country lane and the paddocks either side have got bunnys running around on top during the day , you look for gaps in the barbed wire fence and theres none , you've got a lurcher with you that's not short of brains and you have a solid bond with him, he trusts you and you know his capabilities and wouldn't ever overface him, do you send him over to catch or carry on walking and think about swapping your lurcher for a pug to take for a walk down the lane instead ?

it depends

The problem with a lot of fairly high jumping done before a dog is fully mature is that the damage is invisible and the effects do not show until the dog is older, maybe 2, 3, or even 4 years old.

Gaz: are you sure that your pup hadn't just outgrown her strength when you said she went through a 'lazy' stage? Pups grow in spurts, and when the bones are growing the muscles take a while to catch up in terms of strength. That is why I don't like to do much jumping at all until the bones have finished growing and the muscles are developed enough to propel the dog over things without jarring joints etc.

I don't think so. She was still bouncing 6 foot in the kennel when I went to get her out. Lol. She just didn't see the importance of clearing the fence when she could flop over it. Maybe her technique was lacking, but I had seen her jump well previously. Who knows.

I just don't think wrapping them in cotton wool is going to help them learn. Especially where jumping is concerned. They aren't stupid, well most of them aren't, lol, and will soon learn to clear an obstacle what has nicked them.

I might be going about it all wrong...

1D37FD8D-4186-48F0-A827-86E4653E3760_zps

DSC_0456_zpsheaapgvm.jpg

DSC_0457_zpsq71vvn8l.jpg

DSC_0165_zpssc7wftbb.jpg

it depends

it does

My dogs small like yours mate.she will jump owt but its not for me.Barb wire f that al pick her up and put her other.just how I do it Dave mate .not sayin a dog jumping is bad I just don't like it mate