Jumping Pics...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does this one count? He's more running over them but he had to jump to get there lol.  

Posted Images

Does anyone teach the dog the command to go 'under'?

I've seen plenty of macho types over the years that are always getting their dogs jumping silly obstacles. if the jump ain't right then have respect for the dog and lift it over.

I like a dog to jump and never start pups off until they're 8 or 9 months old. It's what suits me.

However, In many cases I will order my dog under an obstacle rather than over it. Last night we had to negotiate a shitty hedgerow with wire a-plenty, a proper vets retrirement fund if there ever was one. I told the dog to 'wait' and then 'under' and he did the limbo through a gap about 14 inches high and waited for me the other side. Injuries are easy enough to encounter without causing them yourself through sillyness....

Sparky bringing one back over the top.....

post-16-0-79688700-1447753833.jpg

• Like 3

I've NEVER ever lifted any of my lurchers over ANYTHING after them being 4/5 months old..they either go over 99.9% of the time or will on rare occasions go under..no Health & Safety regulations in my kennels I'm afraid ?

• Like 3

When I lived in Cumbria I taught both my lurchers to jump but, in hindsight, that's probably because it was mainly dry stone walls they were getting over. Now I'm back in Hampshire I don't think I've ever actually taught any of the subsequent dogs to jump. I guess that's probably because it's either dense woodland or barbed wire fences so they tend to go the fastest way for them which is usually through or under.

I did have a tiny collie x whippet once though who was extremely agile and would regularly run up into the bottom branches of trees if the trunk was less than 80 degrees. I've got an old photo somewhere of a hole in a fence she jumped through once as I knew I'd never trust my memory unless I had photographic evidence. The fence was just shy of six feet and it was next to a concrete post; the fence was topped by a few strands of wire with a single strand of barbed wire at the very top about six feet up. The wire had been damaged and mended several times and looked like a wind-damaged spiders web with a rough circle of around 12" in the middle and that was the part she jumped through.

• Like 1

To be fair unless commanded to "hup" or in pursuit of quarry if left to own devices my Lurcher will try and get through or under which I don't mind as long as they middle strands aren't barbed lol, finding the last couple of months my 11yr old Bitch only good for a few jumps then I have to lift her, I don't mind though she's served me well and it's the least I can do for her.

13 weeks old today..took him to where I've schooled lots of my previous dogs in the past,took to it like a duck to water,just followed the Pom over..happy days PSX_20151117_140854_zps3xx565lr.jpgPSX_20151117_140456_zpsq21y9fwp.jpg

have you all ways had pups jumping at that age Fuji Edited by King.

Yep..I've known of ONE adult dog that broke a leg jumping a gate that ended his working career,no pups that's been finished before they got started by learning to jump as pups,NEVER in my life heard of a dog ruined by excessive walking as a pup..has anyone? I'd keep handbag dogs if I wanted to pamper them,my dogs are lurchers,canine athletes,built and designed to hunt,jump,kill,carry,swim etc,they learn nothing sat in a dog run for ten months..mines already adapt at swimming,fully house trained,grand with livestock,started off jumping..come the day I start him in work this dog won't be fazed by ANYTHING,he will be ready to confront the workload and terrain I set him free on buddy ?

• Like 9

Yep..I've known of ONE adult dog that broke a leg jumping a gate that ended his working career,no pups that's been finished before they got started by learning to jump as pups,NEVER in my life heard of a dog ruined by excessive walking as a pup..has anyone? I'd keep handbag dogs if I wanted to pamper them,my dogs are lurchers,canine athletes,built and designed to hunt,jump,kill,carry,swim etc,they learn nothing sat in a dog run for ten months..mines already adapt at swimming,fully house trained,grand with livestock,started off jumping..come the day I start him in work this dog won't be fazed by ANYTHING,he will be ready to confront the workload and terrain I set him free on buddy ?

Man after my own heart, and with many years in the field to back up the theory.

Both my current dogs were out at 6 weeks, swimming at 8 weeks, jumping at 12 weeks and chasing whatever they wanted to chase wether it's leaves, squirrels or the odd coney.

Countless people have told me they will have to retire early due to doing too much too young.

We will see.

But like you say, nothing phases them later in life when they have been entered early.

• Like 3