Let's See Your Phone Shots !!

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having far too much time on my hands at the moment whilst siting doing nothing and enjoying how peaceful and quiet everything is at present I noticed a life or death struggle going on in miniature at my feet. It may be difficult to tell from the pics but a spider, I think a jumping spider (have seen it jump) in a struggle with a moth. My knowledge of insects and arachnids is poor and would appreciate if someone could ID the species.

It seemed like a battle at 1st. The spider had a hold and moth was in no way incapacitated but then became apparent that the spider's grip was a good one and would not be shaken off. I watched them for about 5 minutes and it did not seem as though any venom that the spider may have had was a factor, more a battle of strength and stamina. 

Went out later, last pic, and the moth was dead and spider standing close by watching over it's kill.

002.jpg

010.jpg

024.jpg

012.jpg

161.jpg

171.jpg

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Having far too much time on my hands at the moment whilst siting doing nothing and enjoying how peaceful and quiet everything is at present I noticed a life or death struggle going on in miniature at my feet. It may be difficult to tell from the pics but a spider, I think a jumping spider (have seen it jump) in a struggle with a moth. My knowledge of insects and arachnids is poor and would appreciate if someone could ID the species.

It seemed like a battle at 1st. The spider had a hold and moth was in no way incapacitated but then became apparent that the spider's grip was a good one and would not be shaken off. I watched them for about 5 minutes and it did not seem as though any venom that the spider may have had was a factor, more a battle of strength and stamina. 

Went out later, last pic, and the moth was dead and spider standing close by watching over it's kill.

002.jpg

010.jpg

024.jpg

012.jpg

161.jpg

171.jpg

Think it's a Zebra Spider and a Bee Moth mate.

I used an App called "Seek" by " iNaturalist" free if you have iPhone but Google do a similar one to get the moth. Just Googled black and white spider.

Cheers Arry

• Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, Arry said:

Think it's a Zebra Spider and a Bee Moth mate.

I used an App called "Seek" by " iNaturalist" free if you have iPhone but Google do a similar one to get the moth. Just Googled black and white spider.

Cheers Arry

Thanks Arry. It looked like a stoat taking a rabbit at 1st but there was only going to be one outcome. I'm not a big fan of spiders and find it difficult to see the beauty in them...but, they are good at what they have evolved to do.

• Like 1