The Brown Rat

On 18 December 2017 at 16:58, gnipper said:

Got any ferreting ground you' like to pass on? ?

Gnipper, I'm not quite ready for packing it all in yet and my lad still gets out with me, I take quite a few lads out as guest ferreter on the estate work, I'm right on top of the rabbit job for now after years of large numbers, I had left small pockets to re-populate but the dreaded "myxie" popped up and sorted most that were left, the golf courses have been flooded this year and numbers are down to very little,just the odd 1 or 2, I still shoot and bush the 5 fisheries, sometimes with the lamp, my local farms around Chester are all in control number wise, we have stopped all the paid work, stadiums,private gardens, industrial estates,factories, etc for a few months now, still flying the Goshawk and 2 Harriss, but not as regular as we did as my mates wife is terminal thus restricting him, I have still got 3 ferrets all good workers but will be getting rid of my locators and 50m quick sets soon after christmas, I still use my HW100 rifle around the farms so I will be active but just not all day, everyday, I will bear you in mind though if I have the need, my lad knows you after he bought something off you a couple of years back when you broke your leg ?? (I think it was you), take care and "Merry Christmas" to all, ROB

• Like 1

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loathed by most,loved by a few,an unworthy opponent to some terrier men, yet a more than worthy opponent by others.Some like to kill the odd few now and then, others like myself hunt them on a weekly

Most of mine too.

foxbolter i'm not going to get pulled in to a debate over how strong a rat is or is not,ive bin working terriers for over 35 years and over twenty on other quarry, so i'll have my opinion and you have

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Plucky1 said:

Gnipper, I'm not quite ready for packing it all in yet and my lad still gets out with me, I take quite a few lads out as guest ferreter on the estate work, I'm right on top of the rabbit job for now after years of large numbers, I had left small pockets to re-populate but the dreaded "myxie" popped up and sorted most that were left, the golf courses have been flooded this year and numbers are down to very little,just the odd 1 or 2, I still shoot and bush the 5 fisheries, sometimes with the lamp, my local farms around Chester are all in control number wise, we have stopped all the paid work, stadiums,private gardens, industrial estates,factories, etc for a few months now, still flying the Goshawk and 2 Harriss, but not as regular as we did as my mates wife is terminal thus restricting him, I have still got 3 ferrets all good workers but will be getting rid of my locators and 50m quick sets soon after christmas, I still use my HW100 rifle around the farms so I will be active but just not all day, everyday, I will bear you in mind though if I have the need, my lad knows you after he bought something off you a couple of years back when you broke your leg ?? (I think it was you), take care and "Merry Christmas" to all, ROB

I think your lad must have me mixed up with someone else mate as I've never broken a leg? Thanks for keeping me in mind though and I might know someone after a locator too if you do end up selling them.

Cheers

Invited "Pud"from the Border ratters for a day on the long tails on one of my farms in the Borders.Pud brought his two Plummer bitches which would acompamy my two Plummers and collie "Merle". Today we used smoker and spades,We killed 55 rats a lot of which where dug out the rest bolted by smoker. These dogs are all seasoned ratters so today was a joy both men and dogs new what had to be done..Some great sport all dogs making some great kills .Took couple pics on phone,atb Keith j. IMG-20171223-WA0005.thumb.jpg.6b8a9b171074509d11393a2d0bc920a2.jpg20171223_133659.thumb.jpg.5539e11b8f649ecb138bfc92d07023df.jpg20171223_100335.thumb.jpg.74938826d97abed09e196a131ff7c6b5.jpg

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...

Canny weekend on the long tails dogs killing 113.This was over 3 hunts on two different farms..Friday night 20 killed on lamp, same farm next day 74 killed.Farmer moved bales for me and dogs nailed 36 , the ones that got away I left for hour or so and went back and smoked and dug the rest .                                     Second farm this morning dug and smoked 19 which dogs made short work of. Dogs have been busy since harvest ratting 2 too 3 times a week .Had some great sport .Took couple pictures on phone of dogs and few rats .Atb Keith j.20180128_113130.thumb.jpg.95844deb3bc7b6727304e6f5b27c243a.jpg20180128_110735.thumb.jpg.4324b3f2a365d0283be1d04130a1c456.jpg

• Like 7

Nice bit of action and keeping the dogs busy.

i like the smoker, is it just a chainsaw engine ? Keep thinking about building one.

edited to say, just seen it's a disc cutter engine, you literally just pipe the exhaust fumes down the hole and the rats  bolt??

32 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Nice bit of action and keeping the dogs busy.

i like the smoker, is it just a chainsaw engine ? Keep thinking about building one.

edited to say, just seen it's a disc cutter engine, you literally just pipe the exhaust fumes down the hole and the rats  bolt??

Aye bud, get bit pipe welded on exhaust to attach hose to .Remove belt and any moving parts incase  dogs get close to smoker, don't want them hurt . No need for extra oil in mix , ru  it normal jobs a good un.atb 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, keith j said:

Aye bud, get bit pipe welded on exhaust to attach hose to .Remove belt and any moving parts incase  dogs get close to smoker, don't want them hurt . No need for extra oil in mix , ru  it normal jobs a good un.atb 

Cheers for the info, I happen to have a couple of spare disc cutters lying around, you keep the cutter revving ? How long before they usually come out

2 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Cheers for the info, I happen to have a couple of spare disc cutters lying around, you keep the cutter revving ? How long before they usually come out

2 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Depends on how deep the sets are etc.Sometimes you start smoker up and rats will start bolting off the vibrations, other times you can't shift them .Having said that pumping to much smoke in and a lot will sucome to fumes and die. I'll smoke for little while then stop , lot of the time rats will bolt if you stay quite enough. Good luck atb keith j. 

• Like 1