The Brown Rat

22 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Have any of ye used a the springer for flushing and marking fox??

I had a working springer myself and he flushed a hell of a lot of foxes and was out straight behind them so was hunting them, after they ran he came back and worked the rest of the cover, he was totally mute so if ya gave a toot on the whistle ya still got a good bit of rough shooting from him

• Like 1

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loathed by most,loved by a few,an unworthy opponent to some terrier men, yet a more than worthy opponent by others.Some like to kill the odd few now and then, others like myself hunt them on a weekly

Most of mine too.

foxbolter i'm not going to get pulled in to a debate over how strong a rat is or is not,ive bin working terriers for over 35 years and over twenty on other quarry, so i'll have my opinion and you have

Posted Images

Hello Keith me ol tata, been a while since either of us posted really so a quick update on "WILF", he has really gone from a decent dog to one thats totally driven 100%, a massive change so much so that I've had to rest him for the last 3 weeks due to the damage he has took over the autumn/winter on fox, I had a couple to ground with him last year but he's woken up and decided he likes the pain, I might as well have "DANNY" back now the way he works, his face was becoming a mess as each bolt or dig left him with a mark or two, after a couple of months he was looking rough, so I decided to avoid the area's holding fox and try getting him out on just the rabbits/ferreting/general mooching etc, but he has still been lost 3 or 4 times only for me to find him in drains/earths I didn't know were there and you know it always happens when you're f*cked heading back to the van, I took these pics before for you as he is mostly healed up now, he's an aggressive little f*cker now and going on some of the reports on his pups they are all coming on into decent all round terriers, the last litter in the summer off "ROSIE" all went to decent homes and my best mate in SWANSEA had a bitch that was pick of the litter, he's bringing her up after Xmas once her adult teeth are set to do a bit of ratting. Rosie has been spayed and gone to live with my cousin Dave who lives on a canal barge just outside Nantwich to bolt rabbits from cover for his whippet/ferreting,ratting,etc, she loves it and is in her element there, that means I only have Wilf and Miley left at home and that suits me fine

SAM_0172.JPG

SAM_0173.JPG

SAM_0176.JPG

Anybody interested in buying my breeding runs pm me, there is this one and a rather more substantial one, can be used inside or out, best thing you will ever buy if you're breeding pups or even to restrict movement whilst puppy training, WM

SAM_0186.JPG

Glad to here "wilf"is doing the business for you Rob. These dogs have some go in them ."Grace"has come on leaps also.My team have been worked a lot since the harvest ,out in all weather's working all put in front of them.Just killed another 26 rats today ,been digging quite a lot out with them lately,keeps the dogs fit and keen. Atb Keith j. 

20171210_114808.jpg

20171210_114405.jpg

• Like 1
On 16/12/2017 at 15:55, Plucky1 said:

Anybody interested in buying my breeding runs pm me, there is this one and a rather more substantial one, can be used inside or out, best thing you will ever buy if you're breeding pups or even to restrict movement whilst puppy training, WM

SAM_0186.JPG

You donw with breeding then Rob ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

You donw with breeding then Rob ?

Yes mate, I've done everything I set out to do, speed bred a steady line of all round Plummer type terriers that are clean from health issues that breed true to type size,conformation, colour but most of all they have mostly been steady workers, I only have an early foundation bitch thats 10 yrs old, she is whats been the difference, hungry for work of any sort, bit hard on fox in her day but still a 100% working terrier, mark anything, work anything, just tuned in since the day I got her in 2008,never been a bit of trouble and an only survivor from a very rare litter that was very well bred, she will end her days with me, she still loves work and it will be a sorry day for her and me when she struggles to get out anymore, she is one of those bitches that just lives for going out, the other terrier is "Wilf", bit more aggressive than her but has become an outstanding all round dog, I'll be very surprised if he makes "old bones" this last 6 months since he woke up he only listens when it suits him, gone is the nod to enter, constantly locating him to ground after losing him, f*cker once on the scent of "old red" bushing, following across roads,motorways,railways,etc, doesn't matter how much you holler to come back, loses his head, I have bred my last litter and that was those in the pics above,they mostly went to people I know that have been lifelong friends and will be worked and very well cared for, I have altered my perspective of whats important in my life now and at 60 will ride my motorbikes a bit more and holidaying with my wife thats had to put up with me for 33yrs, my dogs will still be out everyday but not for the all day jobs, just a few hours a day, morning and night, WM

• Like 2

Good for you you Rob,Glad I had a part in the making of "wilf"and he is doing the job for you..Ive met you in person a couple of times  and spoke many other times .You put me on the right track on a stud dog for my bitch which is the mother of" Grace, Wilf and Red"all of which are worked regular and doing everything asked of them..Good luck with the biking ,touring not a better feeling apart from killing rats that is lol..Ive tourerd Europe 3 times on bike with tent ,Switzerland,Italy,Piranese,Austria etc .Good luck and all the best have a good one bud atb keith j 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Plucky1 said:

Yes mate, I've done everything I set out to do, speed bred a steady line of all round Plummer type terriers that are clean from health issues that breed true to type size,conformation, colour but most of all they have mostly been steady workers, I only have an early foundation bitch thats 10 yrs old, she is whats been the difference, hungry for work of any sort, bit hard on fox in her day but still a 100% working terrier, mark anything, work anything, just tuned in since the day I got her in 2008,never been a bit of trouble and an only survivor from a very rare litter that was very well bred, she will end her days with me, she still loves work and it will be a sorry day for her and me when she struggles to get out anymore, she is one of those bitches that just lives for going out, the other terrier is "Wilf", bit more aggressive than her but has become an outstanding all round dog, I'll be very surprised if he makes "old bones" this last 6 months since he woke up he only listens when it suits him, gone is the nod to enter, constantly locating him to ground after losing him, f*cker once on the scent of "old red" bushing, following across roads,motorways,railways,etc, doesn't matter how much you holler to come back, loses his head, I have bred my last litter and that was those in the pics above,they mostly went to people I know that have been lifelong friends and will be worked and very well cared for, I have altered my perspective of whats important in my life now and at 60 will ride my motorbikes a bit more and holidaying with my wife thats had to put up with me for 33yrs, my dogs will still be out everyday but not for the all day jobs, just a few hours a day, morning and night, WM

Got any ferreting ground you' like to pass on? ?