Spaniel Ferreting

Remember ferreting a few years ago on the shoot, had my whippets and my mate scotty brought his young springer dog along. We were ferreting a wood with small warrens all over. A ferret was on a kill, Scotty sat the spaniel down and we moved onto the next warren 20 yards away. 5-10 minutes later the spaniel appeared carrying a rabbit in a pursenet.
Bloody good spaniel he was, he wouldn't chase the rabbits and worked well with the whippets and Scotty's lurchers.

Not owned one myself ,but have had a few out with mates that own them,,, good at marking and flushing obviously ...

And if its had its jabs,, get it out now

I would love to have it out now but it would run of on a scent at the moment I think, o much of a risk until its more trained , 6 months old , why would you have it out now ? Do you think it would steady it up?

Not owned one myself ,but have had a few out with mates that own them,,, good at marking and flushing obviously ...

I would love to have it out now but it would run of on a scent at the moment I think, o much of a risk until its more trained , 6 months old , why would you have it out now ? Do you think it would steady it up?

If a pup is likely to run off on a scent now itll run off at 6 months! when a pup is really young is the time to get it used to being off lead walk in an open area and keep changing direction so it realises if it doesnt follow you it might lose you, when a pup gets older and realises it can dissappear and has co fidence to do that it can be hard to get that back, just my opinion.

Having said that we have three family dogs (r lassess apart from the crap jobs) and I dont really trust any of them off the lead when they are all together, when one voes the others follow then there is confidence in the pack!

• 2 weeks later...

Often have a walk out with the Cockers,...amazing wee dogs,..full of energy and great fun,...

But,.although I am offered promising pups on a regular basis,...I just cannot get into the game shooting scene...I don't mind a few days picking up, for an earner and to help out,.but a genuine lurcherman,...will always be,.. a lurcherman. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 5

IMO the Springer Spaniel IS the best breed on average to beat cover and if brought out with ferrets often enough they would become good markers of burrows.

But they wont catch a bolted rabbit.

Taken out often enough most lurchers will also mark used burrows AND they will catch bolted rabbits.

Different dogs for different jobs.

get it out mate you will hear often enough they learn nothing stuck in the kennel,be taking mine this weekend just few small warrens see what its all about,7 month now.

96698666-4270-45e5-8702-9509e6801bf3_zps

• Like 2

Top bit of marking from my old bitch

nice bitch , do you use her for shooting as well or just lurchers and ferreting?
Yes i use her for beating and picking up alongside my other springer and cocker

Top bit of marking from my old bitch

nice bitch , do you use her for shooting as well or just lurchers and ferreting?
Yes i use her for beating and plcking up alongside her daughter and a cocker bitch.The cocker will run a rabbit but the springers are as steady as a rock