Barf Feeding Pups

When working out how much BARF to feed my new pup I get in a couple of weeks, I have got a a stumbling point. How much should I feed him is it 2-3% of his adult weight or the weight he is now ?

ATB

Jäger

Edited by jäger

I've honestly never weighed out dog food in all my years of owning them. You'll soon learn how much your pup needs to keep it growing and at a healthy weight, as a general rule of thumb give it however much food it can eat in say, 10 minutes, 3 times a day adjusting amounts up or down depending on how pup is looking :thumbs:

Forget all that stuff about feeding a certain percentage of its weight: feed young puppies as much as they will eat in a few minutes. Once they walk away, take the bowl up again and don't leave food down for pups to graze on. If the pup hasn't eaten enough at one sitting, it will be hungrier the next time and eat more, providing of course you are feeding it something nutritious that it actually likes!

Also, make sure the pup is able to eat in a quiet place without distractions. Much depends on how the pup was reared before you got it, as well as its breeding,as to how greedy it is.If the pup hasn't been fed enough, or not been properly wormed, it may either be manically hungry or lack appetite. Pups in new homes often take a while to settle to a new routine.

Even when feeding raw diet, you won't need to waste any if the pup walks away after eating only half its food, because you will be feeding often enough for no risk of the meat going bad before the next meal. Keep leftovers in fridge or somewhere cool and warm up slightly with a splosh of boiling water before next meal.

If the pup refuses to eat a particular thing, leave that food out for the time being, but I've never yet known a pup refuse any raw items unless they don't know what it is and have only ever been reared on dry food, Even then, most will dive into raw food as though all their birthdays have come at once.

• Like 1