Getting Back Into The Game

Thanks for all of the advice guys, Like I said this is the first time I've persuade the option of using a hound to hunt with haha.

I've also been told at around 3 months old to get the pup a rabbit felt to rag around to get him use to the scent of it

who's telling these things jake?

Brian may

• Like 3

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the best piece of advice I've had with regard to pups etc, is spend as much time as you can with the dog, concentrating on getting a really strong bond, making him your best mate. Take your ti

Brian may

Don't be shy on asking your mates for advice. If their dogs are doing the business ask them. Edit to say ; didn't mean to sound so abrupt lol

Posted Images

Thanks for all of the advice guys, Like I said this is the first time I've persuade the option of using a hound to hunt with haha.

I've also been told at around 3 months old to get the pup a rabbit felt to rag around to get him use to the scent of it

Brian may

think so kev another one
  • Like 2

It was somsthing that I read on one of the posts on this site but could not remember if I was specifically to do with this breed mate. Like I said I'm basically a newbie to hunting with dogs haha, always hunted with rifles so this is a big learning curve haha

Brian may
think so kev another one
makes you wonder don't it

I think the best piece of advice I've had with regard to pups etc, is spend as much time as you can with the dog, concentrating on getting a really strong bond, making him your best mate. Take your time training him and exposing him to all manner of different situations, have him out and about with you, getting used to everything. And when you feel he's mentally and physically ready, take him out on your own, just you and him and take the time to find the right quarry in the right situation, stack the odds in his favour, and keep him winning at the start.

The rest is pretty much just luck.

What he said

what she said

• Like 1

I think the best piece of advice I've had with regard to pups etc, is spend as much time as you can with the dog, concentrating on getting a really strong bond, making him your best mate. Take your time training him and exposing him to all manner of different situations, have him out and about with you, getting used to everything. And when you feel he's mentally and physically ready, take him out on your own, just you and him and take the time to find the right quarry in the right situation, stack the odds in his favour, and keep him winning at the start.

Great advice. I ve never ran dh go cross but I would nt worry to much about him catching by a certain age. He ll be a big dog so let those supple bones grow before u run him hard. As ideation said take ur time the rest will fall into place

Great advice. I ve never ran dh go cross but I would nt worry to much about him catching by a certain age. He ll be a big dog so let those supple bones grow before u run him hard. As ideation said take ur time the rest will fall into place

ballsed that up sorry

Hi jake. If your just getting into hunting with the running dogs I.e deerhounds lurchers etc then I would recommend a book called running dog maintenance wrote by penny Taylor. Has everything from nutrition, bones, joints , housing , injures everything you need to know I'm sure a few people know about this book but if you didn't it's well worth the reed. It's all well well and good wanting to hunt with dogs but if there unfit and trained wrong then you find it hard. Atb mate Benny ?