Getting Back Into The Game

Hi there,

I've recently just got my self back into hunting after going through (and still going through) fatherhood. I've found that I helps me relax and have some me time haha.

Basically I've always hunted using PCP rifles and never considered using a dog to hunt with but recently I've been going out with a few mates who use deerhounds and also bull crosses and I'm very interested in getting involved by using dogs.

So I've found my self in the predicament of wanting a dog to work with and have just bought my self a deerhound x greyhound pup ( longdog I've also heard them been called) called flint, he is only 9 weeks old so has plenty of time before he is working.

My main aim at posting this is I want to know how to go about introducing flint, once old enough, into the working seen.

Any tips and information would be great,

Many thanks,

Jake

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the best piece of advice I've had with regard to pups etc, is spend as much time as you can with the dog, concentrating on getting a really strong bond, making him your best mate. Take your ti

Brian may

Don't be shy on asking your mates for advice. If their dogs are doing the business ask them. Edit to say ; didn't mean to sound so abrupt lol

Posted Images

To be honest what they have been saying contradicts what I have read and also been told as they have been running there dogs from 5 months. Which I know is alright in certain breeds but they are using collie x greyhounds and also saluki x bull. None of them have used deerhound x greyhounds so was hoping to get more of an insite on here of people who are used to working this breed of dogs =).

I'm trying to find a recent pic of flint to upload haha

I think the best piece of advice I've had with regard to pups etc, is spend as much time as you can with the dog, concentrating on getting a really strong bond, making him your best mate. Take your time training him and exposing him to all manner of different situations, have him out and about with you, getting used to everything. And when you feel he's mentally and physically ready, take him out on your own, just you and him and take the time to find the right quarry in the right situation, stack the odds in his favour, and keep him winning at the start.

The rest is pretty much just luck.

• Like 5

I think the best piece of advice I've had with regard to pups etc, is spend as much time as you can with the dog, concentrating on getting a really strong bond, making him your best mate. Take your time training him and exposing him to all manner of different situations, have him out and about with you, getting used to everything. And when you feel he's mentally and physically ready, take him out on your own, just you and him and take the time to find the right quarry in the right situation, stack the odds in his favour, and keep him winning at the start.

The rest is pretty much just luck.

What he said

What he said he said

Get them out and about as early and as much as possible , stock break early and bond with each other , remember the breed you have chosen can take an age to nature, so if its not seeing like its keen at 9 month its because its a pup very much so mentally, ... Every type, every dog is different . the amount of times I've known people to give up on deerhound types bugs me. Just get it out enjoy your time with the dog , don't get frustrated, and you'll not look back ..... All the best with flint

Thanks for all of the advice guys, Like I said this is the first time I've persuade the option of using a hound to hunt with haha.

I've also been told at around 3 months old to get the pup a rabbit felt to rag around to get him use to the scent of it

Thanks for all of the advice guys, Like I said this is the first time I've persuade the option of using a hound to hunt with haha.

I've also been told at around 3 months old to get the pup a rabbit felt to rag around to get him use to the scent of it

there sight hounds mate, when they have matured they won't need much persuading
  • Like 1

Take your time and bond with it,do as much as you can with retrevie and the basics before you take it out into field also get it stock broken then when the time is right enjoy what you've put in.atb for the future you won't look back.

who's telling these things jake?