To Dig Or Not To Dig

Lads I kept working dogs for 4to5 years now lamping ferreting bushing only member of my family too to take up the pastime. Known as the muck savageto the inlaws haha thing is iv learnt and trained my dogs and meself by just getting out my question is any dog able to be dropped to ground iv only just the one jrt myself sadley and is 9" 10" in height heart of a line she have and would drop in no prob I'm worried tho she's only small and I fear her getting hurt bad again I reach her to let lurcher take over.will she stand off beying or fight .with her size she not got much chance im thinking.allthough pound for pound iv no prob shed do the job honestly loves cats wouldnt think it .will oul charlie fight to the death or just nip an hiss to keep her at bey as only ever lamped them.same as a pig if this unfortunately arises.never dug a fox out and would love any tips or help cheers . delboy. ..

Friends have terriers that are well capable to go to ground and work but sure there not mine and I taking no chances and no room for another cheers again

Edited by delboy_187
  • Like 1

Nobody can tell you how it will work until you let it go. If you are worried aboit it dont let it go to ground, but there are many little dogs that will bolt a fox .cheers mate that's my prob my fear is she'll stick to it and come second best .from what iv read there's bolters and holders .what's charlies first reaction fight or flight or have you known dog and fox fight from the start I'd like send her in doubled with another jrt but space to work has me thinking

I wouldn't double up if I were you , apart from being against the law its a sure way for a terrier to take unnecessary stick

taught it be tight alright cheers

To dogs in ground never good and should never be done what if the second dog pushes on the first or they fight even it's never a good thing to do

I dig small dogs here in the states on coon and woodchucks and they perform just fine. I have some in the 8lb range that do really well in the ground. Your quarry and pipe size is drastically different than what I have to deal with over here. Most of the time a small dog will realize that is small, and settle into a sensible working style. Just use common sense and the smaller dogs can account for game that would have otherwise remained in the pipe.

Do not break thru on top of the quarry, it puts to much pressure on the quarry and it will take its chances on what is in front of him rather than the what is coming from above. I believe a quarry can size up its adversary and determine where its best chance of escape lies. I break through more toward my terrier or to the side and lift it as soon as I reach it. I like to have as many positive digs as possible to build up the little dogs confidence. Once I break through, I do not let my little terrier engage the quarry, as its task has been completed.

Mudcat

• Like 9

I dig small dogs here in the states on coon and woodchucks and they perform just fine. I have some in the 8lb range that do really well in the ground. Your quarry and pipe size is drastically different than what I have to deal with over here. Most of the time a small dog will realize that is small, and settle into a sensible working style. Just use common sense and the smaller dogs can account for game that would have otherwise remained in the pipe.

Do not break thru on top of the quarry, it puts to much pressure on the quarry and it will take its chances on what is in front of him rather than the what is coming from above. I believe a quarry can size up its adversary and determine where its best chance of escape lies. I break through more toward my terrier or to the side and lift it as soon as I reach it. I like to have as many positive digs as possible to build up the little dogs confidence. Once I break through, I do not let my little terrier engage the quarry, as its task has been completed.

Mudcat

Good advise from a man who actually does it carnt get better than that

• Like 1

Mudcat

you no how to work your terriers mudcat, shame theres not more out there like you, i always lift the terrier on breaking through, like you say the terrier has done his job, :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 3

Neill cooney from what I read from posts/topics your good with the terriers any info or tips cheers again lads

Neil cooney dose'nt even keep terriers,its all in his head,have you not heard that every time he runs out of his pills he thinks hes a terrier man and is on here straight away giving advice,heed nothing he says or posts,ps learn the laws of terrier work before you decide to start diging.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1